Absolute Minimal Salt Water Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most medications, even if safe for invertebrates, are harmful to bacteria. That is after all what they're designed for. They tend to damage the biofilter, so even if a formulation is safe for macroinvertebrates it may still damage your live rock.

Ahhh...Good point!

Hmm...What are the chances that this is a "fungus" and not something more horrible? Will this go away? Could it spread to anything else?

Would it be worthwhile to assume it to be fungus and put the fish in a tub for a week with some meds?

How might this have happened? Could it be from all the debris in the water? (I stirred it up so my new filter would suck some out).

Thanks! I have ordered some snails now to help with the mess of stuff...
MAtt

No one will be able to say anything with certainty as to what it is, or might be, with just a quick description. Best bet is to take a picture and post it in the "sick fish" section of the forum, and see if anyone has seen anything like it before.

What caused it? Probably the same thing that causes human infections - it was just exposed to something. My guess is that your tank had nothing to do with it. Fish are exposed to a lot of stuff at the LFS and often come to us with "issues". (Starting to see the benefit of a quarantine tank yet?)

From your description though, it doesn't really sound fungal if it's below the surface of the skin.

Hello,
I will try to get a picture of him tonight. I have a camera with an aquarium setting that I have been dying to try out. :)

The clown doesnt seem too concerned about the stuff. Still swimming around the tank. Still pooping his strange poo. (A little less stringy now).

It could be two different issues. One is small raised bumps that take on the color of the skin. The other is clearly some kind of fuzzy white lump on the surface (his forehead). All of this is on his face, no where else on the body.

Yes, a QT is in order.:D
Im thinking a 10 gallon glass if I can find one, an Aqua Clear 20 power pump, and a small heater.
Matt

I hope your fish makes it thru this! I've enjoyed following this thread and learned a lot from the advice you have been given by the forum salties.

Im thinking a 10 gallon glass if I can find one, an Aqua Clear 20 power pump, and a small heater. ...

(y)

Oh... and a couple pieces of PVC pipe elbows from your local hardware store for the fish to hide behind/in when they want to retreat somewhere.

Hello,
This thread HAS really helped me alot!

Prayers will be with this fish for sure. He wont come out long enough to get a picture of his issue. He comes out when I stir things up and debris is all in the water. He then acts funny as he darts back and forth and snaps at things. I guess this is him eating the copepods....That brings me back to the other issue. How do I get him off copepods? Will he eventually run out and try something else? Or will a fish just decide to starve rather than eat something else? He DODGES ALL OTHER FOODS! I got to see it first hand, for sure!

The mysis shrimp float by him, he moves to look at it, then quickly gets back into the debris cloud. Same thing for his flake food! What a SOB!:mad: Once the debris settles, he goes back to swimming around or just hovering in one spot. Its such a hassle and dissapointment to see the food land on the bottom. Soon I will have some snails to help deal with rotting food.

Just did a 15% WC. I will see how hes doing in the AM.

Matt

It seems to me that you're feeding this fish to much and that is one reason for all the "rotting food". Stop feeding for a few days and let your tank catch up.

I wouldn't expect a fish to eat frozen or especially flake food while live food is readily available. Once the amphipod population dies down a bit he'll eat whatever food he can find.

Hello,
So both my clowns have died...Truly sad about that, but I tried.:confused:

I want new fish, but I am worried about my tank's condition. Not sure if something nasty is hiding in the tank or not. Should I wait a month or so before a new fish?

Another issue is that the inverts I have will likely need some feeding since I wont have a fish in there anymore. (No more waste food).

I have 10 cerinth snails, 10 nessarius snails, 6 hermits, and emerald crab (never see him) a coral banded shrimp (he never comes out of a cave he found) and some new coral polyps. (Neon zoanthids).

I see the cerinth snails constantly eating on stuff around the diatoms. ( I guess they are eating diatoms). The nessarius snails hide in the sand until I put something in. (Frozen mysis shrimp make them go CRAZZZYYY!). The hermits pick at stuff all day, but I dont see much algea left for them. A few have molted already. (Had them for 2 weeks now). The emerald crab usually picks at the LR when visible. Now he is in hiding. Never have seen the coral banded shrimp eat. (He is new, along with the emerald crab, snails and coral).

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10-20ppm
pH:8.2
Temp: 77F

So what should I be doing now? Ive done a few PWC since adding creatures...
Matt

Now that you don't have any fish in your tank do a good size water change 20% twice and let the tank go for at least 3 weeks and try again. Don't worry about the hermits, they eat whatever they can find in the tank, not just algae.

Sounds good, I did a 20% last night.

So what about the other critters? Should I leave some stuff out for them? I have some Nori and a clip. Would it be safe to put that into the tank and leave it? Or will this create an ammonia spike? (If uneaten) The Cerinths seem content with whatever is already in there, but the Nessarius snails seem to be starving. (Or maybe thats just how they act when something dead is floating around?). I think two snails died. (Havent moved since I added them). Should I get them out or leave them alone? (Nothing seems to be eating them).

How should I feed this coral banded shrimp? He wont come out for anything!

Also,
the snails leave alot of poo around. Is that okay?
All in all, nothing really has gone up since adding life. (Except for poo).

Thanks!
Matt

Leave the dead snails in there as the hermits may use the shells as they get bigger. If your shrimp eats like my cleaner shrimp, then throw in some frozen brine or something along those lines. The poo is fine, mine did the same when I first started. Sorry about the clowns, I killed my first pair too. Now I have a black perc., regular perc., 2 pajama cardinals, spotted mandarin (fattening up on brine :D), and a cleaner shrimp. I'm now planning on upgrading to a 75g to expand my collection. :p

Just feed the tank lightly and feed the CBS late at night. The snail poo is just part of the food cycle of your tank. They take a higher protein and break it down to a lower nitrate.

Hello,
I notice now that he seems to catch some of the mysis shrimp that get thrown around in the current. I also see that tonight he molted! I first thought he was dead and getting eaten by the snails, but there he was looking at them eating his exo...Yuck! (At least the critters have something to eat now!)

I have added some corals and wanted to know a little more about adding some more. So far, I have added zooanthid polyps. I have no idea if they are happy. They all open completely and look alright. Some fluoresce with my black light on at night! Neato!

Here is what I have for the lighting: Coralife lights, 65W (50/50 10,000K and Actinic). I have the corals placed in direct light, about 10in away from the bulbs. How does this setup sound? Whats the most I can get away with here? (as far as corals go). How do I know they are happy? (I assume them opening fully is good).

I saw a Torch at my other LFS, but the guy there suggested I pass on it and others like it.

Thanks!
Matt

Back
Top Bottom