Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

As advised from the good people here i was going to do a small 12g salty and was advised to go bigger and i did. i got a 40hex stretch i spend just under 300 for everything. i bought 90% from craigslist, oceanic 40g hex tank, light stand rio 1100 powerhead, thermometer. $100.. then i bought a red sea prisim pro deluxe protein skimmer for $25 and the guy gave me 30lbs of base rock. aslo i got a testing kit with the 40 hex. then i bought my live rock online it was $75 bucks.. RO/DI water .50 a gallon from LFS and chems and red sea salt mix ended up being like $60. so im just under 300 for everything and im happy.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

SW "are expensive....so-to-speak but I've done my 100gal re-build s-l-o-w-l-y over time....onna 4-person family (w/baby on the way) budget... (me only part time employed...to date)taking my time..taking advice from A/A members and have created a beautiful thing that the whole family enjoys.At first I was slightly intimidated by all of the rumors.But A/A has gotten me through it .
Its been my experience that big or small...'price-wise'....theres not too much difference....so why not go for it and go big.You can get alot more variety going on...and leave yourself w/alot more options.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

price wise there is a big difference depending on how big you go. Skimmers are the biggest price, along with sand live rock and lights. Ive spent probably 200 just on rock, another 125 on sand, and 180 on a skimmer. the lights were 375 that I got. However a cheap PC light would be around $60+.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
If you went with a 20 gallon tank you really don't need a skimmer as a weekly pwc will accomplish the same thing. For a powerhead I think you will be able to get by with a Koralia 1. For substrate, if you go sand get dry aragonite intsead of live sand because IMO live sand isn't "live" and many others will say the same. For salt brands everybody has a favorite. for lighting if you get a deluxe full hood or a strip-light with the tank, I think you can get by with that for fish and live rock. For a test kit a lot of people use an API saltwater master test kit. Since you're getting live rock you won't need a filter. Heater, a 100 watt would work great. For thermometers, I just use temp tape which is cheap but not the most accurate. Get a refractometer, much better than a hydrometer. I think that's about all I can remember.
This is a great post!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing I would differ with is "Heater, a 100 watt would work great". I would get two smaller heaters...2-50watts...Much safer IMO
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
i do not know if i would toss the idea of a filter and skimmer...i think you would have to do many water changes without..but i am no expert on that.

I went without a skimmer for 2 months with a bunch of coral and 4 fish (pushing stock limits) and did my weekly pwc and everything was fine.
Then I got my seaclone 100................decent skimmer just takes forever to adjust the air valve.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
The only thing I would differ with is "Heater, a 100 watt would work great". I would get two smaller heaters...2-50watts...Much safer IMO
I agree I just never have used 2 heaters only used my 150 watt and hasn't failed me yet :p
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I cannot go bigger for size reasons as well as cost. I simply dont have anything strong enough to support something like a 50 gallon or so. I also dont have room for something 2-3feet in lenght. This is why I am considering the 20 gallon hexagonal tank. It is 15in by 24in tall.

So how little lighting could I get by with here? How much if I ever wanted some simple corals one day?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't remember seeing any fixture under 20" that could support coral. You could get a 20 gallon high like I have it's only 9in. wider. With that there is a wide range of lights you can buy. If you didn't get coral and only had live rock and fish you could get by with a standard full hood or striplight on the hexagon-style tank. Maybe someone else has come across a fixture that would fit a hex tank like that.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi there. I'm new to this aswell and I know everyone will disagree with me but the results of all my water tests prove that the tank I have chosen is healthy. It is a marine biorb 60l and I have taken things slowly with cuc and one small fish only, steadily introduced. The water params are all 0, apart from one slight hitch over 12 hours which quickly returned to 0 again. Honestly, I can't sing the praises of the biorb enough, it has gone so well. Nothing has died or become sick and I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to get some really mature live rock. I stocked with 3.5kg and I think this is what has done the job. Lots of livestock and coralline algae on the rock, the setup has cost about £300 or thereabouts. All the best with your new purchase, it is so exciting watching all the different lifeforms growing.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com