Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Absolute Minimal Salt Water Aquarium

Hello all,
I am new here and have been scouring the net looking for info on starting a salt water aquarium. I have had numerous fresh water tanks in the past, but have always wanted a SW!

Now I have read a lot of confusing information. Everything from dropping fish in a bucket of pre-mixed salt water to extremely expensive systems. I want a small tank with small fish. How small can one go? I would like something in the 10-20gallon range with fish no larger than 3in or so. Id love to have crabs and shrimp as well. Is it possible to have a small tank system like this and do so without dropping hundreds of dollars to do so?

So I guess what I am getting at is, can I get a 10-20 gallon SW tank going for under 300$? Again, I want it kept simple (for now). No coral or large exotic fish. (Just a couple fish really). I plan on having living rock, some hermit crabs, and some small fish.

Seems the actual tank is the most $$$ thing seeing as most the pet stores around here sell acrylic ones now.

So, can the KISS principle hold here? Or is it just unrealistic?

Thanks big time!
Matt

Old 05-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is their a reason besides cost to go for a small tank? If you can, go on a local reef forum. Their is most likely a tank for sale cheap.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s been done before but IMO it will be harder. Less water volume is less forgiving should you have any problems.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I wanted to go small because larger seems to cost more. (More living rock, more salt, more chemicals, ect.) Plus larger tanks get more and more $$$. Cost the main issue here. Shipping costs are horrendous for things like tanks too. :-(

Fish wont cost much as I have several stores around here with alot of them. Sadly, their tanks cost hundreds (even for a 20gallon). If I go with a 20 gallon glass, that should fit the budget.

So, am I crazy? A salt water tank for under $300?
Matt
Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
No a salt tank for under 300 is do-able. Probably going to be close though.

Like the other have said it is going to be difficult to maintain a tank that small. I am always concerned when people new to salt want to start that small because the risk of having a bad first SW experience and contributing to the rumor of SW is so difficult to do.

I personally think that a 75 is a good place to start for SW. Craigslist will be your friend here. Because of the economy there are a ton of people getting out of their larger tanks right now. I would guess that if you keep your eyes open you could find a tank and stand with some equipment even for 200-300$ I don't think you will be able to set the whole thing up for that much but it wouldn't take a whole lot more and i think it would be worth it in the long run for you. I wouldn't ,however, buy someone elses live rock or fish. Buying thier system also buys their problems.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started my 40g about 4 months ago. The tank is only a small piece of the money. The lights are the top money item and then the live rock. IMO, find a lighting system you like then buy the tank to fit it!!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you want corals or just fish? Also you can save money by buying base rock and seed it.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

He wants only fish and rock from what his post says. Again it is doable. Taking the long route of using base rock and allowing it to mature to grow the required bacteria will save you plenty in itself.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_doom2 View Post
i started my 40g about 4 months ago. The tank is only a small piece of the money. The lights are the top money item and then the live rock. Imo, find a lighting system you like then buy the tank to fit it!!
+1......................
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Yes, just fish, rocks, and how about some crabs? I love hermit crabs.
Craigslist in my area hasnt turned up much, but I will keep looking. So for now, what should I buy? A tank is obvious, but how about a protein skimmer? Any good recomendations for a tank of my size? A heater/thermometer are other obvious things. (Good ones to buy?)

So, I dont want to go as cheap as possbile and deal with stuff that breaks or messes up all the time, but I also dont want stuff that will "pamper" the tanks creatures. Coral is out of the question as I dont want to spend $$$ on the bulbs.

So as I see things, here is how I plan to start: Get tank, protein skimmer, heater+thermometer, water test kit stuff, and some salt water mix. Oh, and then theres the filter and water pumps? Yea, I will deffinately have to get a GLASS aquarium! (This sounds to be adding up fast!).

EDIT: So I was looking around the net with google, and I came across this: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index...ROD&ProdID=544

Would a hexagonal shaped tank pose any problems? I am not sure what kind of light will fit or how I would hook up a protein skimmer and pump though.

Thanks guys!
Matt

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com