Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Mike24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 89
Acan

Do i really need to feed my acan coral or any other corals?, im running 8 ati t5 lights ( 3 actinic, 3 aquablue plus 15k, 2 purple plus) in a 40 gallon breeder.. And dosing phytoplankton 3x a week. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Only NPS corals need fed. Yes, it can speed up growth slightly but its definitely not a must. That's also a lot of lighting for acans. I would make sure to keep them on the sand bed and even in some slightly shadowed areas.
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Mike24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 89
Its on sand bed right now... Thats is nice to know thats its not a must to feed it... Im thinking to feed it anyway maybe once a week..
__________________
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmkb02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Don't need to feed, acans get 90 % of their food through photosynthesis and the other 10% from trace elements. Calcium will help it with the photo process but target feeding will pretty much only cause phosphates to rise, which will hurt its photosynthesis and slow or stop it from growing.
__________________
Jmkb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Mike24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 89
Thanks for the info guys..
__________________
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
acan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.