Acclimating dry bagged snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just received my shipment from reeftopia. Some snails were shipped in no water - just moist bags. I understand this is done with certain snails and is completely normal - but, am I to assume there is no acclimation period? Just toss them in? If they are not in any water, there's no way to slowly adjust them to new water, right?

- Skins

I would think that a slow drip in a bucket would be the best. That way, no matter what, they are slowly acclimated to your water conditions. From my understanding, snails need a slow acclimation.

That's the thing though. I'm not sure how a drip method would be beneficial for dry snails. 100% of the water dripping is my tank water. From drip one, they will be sitting in my salinity , ph, etc. No?

I'll probably drip just to play it safe - but, I'm more curious than anything.

one good way to acclimate snails is to let them stick to the glass just at the water line, mostly above..they acclimate themselves that way.

Heh heh, I guess my snails just weren't sticky enough. I got 100 Nassarius from ebay, dry bagged, and only about 50 were alive, and of those, maybe 10 stuck themselves to the glass. The rest just either died where they landed or wandered off through the sand bed. I had the same question as to whether or not to drip acclimate them... on hind sight, I wish I had. I'm certain more would have survived if I'd drip acclimated rather than by just trying to stick them too the glass. Maybe it matters on how stressed their systems are. I would think that drip acclimation, if done slowly enough, would give them the same opportunity to self regulate as sticking them to glass would.

Hmm.I did the drip thing and actually kept them in the bucket for a week or two witha bubble stone and some food. I bought mine at ebay too from the same seller and they were all fine.

Iput 25 in my tank and sold the rest to the lfs for like 40 bucks...not bad for a 10 dollar purchase.

Same seller? Did you see my name on his feedback? There are several sellers on there with nassarius. I got mine from McMann.

Well, I dripped anyway - to play it safe. Out of 196 snails total (100 were astrea), all 196 survived shipping and acclimation (so far - 24 hours later). Can't complain. 4 crabs, and 4 shrimp as well. Thumbs way up for reeftopia.com.

- skins

Back
Top Bottom