Acclimating fish...pH concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS told me that when they get their fish they start their quarantine tank at pH 6.8 and raise it slowly before putting fish in main tank.

:?: Is it generally true of new arrivals (online fish orders) that the pH will fall considerably during transit?
:?: Is is therefore better to anticipate this fall if ordering fish online and set up the quarantine tank a bit lower in terms of pH?

Also, I've read in numerous articles that the quarantine water's salinity should be on the low side - well tolerated by fish, but not tolerated as well by hitchhiking parasites and the like.
:?: Any advice?

(3 questions in one post!! Somebody stop me before I post again!!!) :twisted:

midiman said:
:?: Is it generally true of new arrivals (online fish orders) that the pH will fall considerably during transit?
True, the longer the fish is in transit the lower the pH becomes from the ammonia and CO2.

:?: Is is therefore better to anticipate this fall if ordering fish online and set up the quarantine tank a bit lower in terms of pH?
Definately not. The easiest and best way to help correct pH is float the bag unopened for 15-20 min. This allows the temp in the bag to come up and thereby increasing the pH slowly. Once done, the bag can be opened and allowed to breath for a few more minutes. A few drops of Prime or similar detoxifier is a +. Then begin the acclimation routine slowly adding water to the bag.

Also, I've read in numerous articles that the quarantine water's salinity should be on the low side - well tolerated by fish, but not tolerated as well by hitchhiking parasites and the like.
:?: Any advice?
The least stressful approach would be matching the QT salinity to the transport bag. LFS's will often be a little lower than most will keep it anyway. Fish will tolerate lowered salinities for many months without any adverse affects but should not remain so for their entire life. It will eventually cause organ damage. Adding fresh RO water to the QT will bring it down easily enough. This should be done before water is added to the bag and shouldn't take more than a few minutes GPH depending.
Lowered salinity does have the benefit of reducing stress in fish and helps with the transition to captive care. It has also shown to help with fish that aren't eating.

As far as parasites are concerned, it would need to be lowered to 1.009 SG (14-16 ppt ) and remain so for 4 weeks minimum. It does not work on all parasite issues so I would not suggest doing so prophylacticly in case copper based or formalin meds are needed. 1.019-1.021 is good enough to help with stress. These levels (1.019-1.021) would not have any affect on a parasite though.

Just remember that when the fish has gone through the 4 week QT period that the salinity is raised back up to match the display tank. It should be done quite slowly and no more than 0.001/day or every second day. Fish are quite tolerant of lowered salinities but increases must be done much slower.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom