Acclimating Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the best way to go about this? He is currently in freshwater.

What is the salinity of the tank you'll be adding him to?

I'm assuming already set-up, cycled, etc. ?

I was actually going to get a GSP and just start out marine. Puffers are what got me into saltwater actually, I started out on a puffer forum and came here when I began to need help with corals and such. I decided on a Toby puffer instead and went ahead with same plans for the tank. My decision was mainly because of the GSPs temperament over anything else, I wanted tankmates.

Drip acclimating would be best. How long would depend on the salinity yours will be going into obviously, as it would take longer to reach a higher salinity taking it slow.

I'd do it over a few hours, especially if going to straight marine. Starting out with slow drip and gradually increasing the speed over time. You'd have to check the salinity in the container he's acclimating in quite a few times to see where you're at.

Make sure to keep temp up in the container you're acclimating him in, though you probably know that.

Yep, cycled 75g. 1.025, I'm adding him to my reef while I set up the 150g I'm sacrificing my hermits & snails for this little guy. I really wanted a Porcupine Puffer but couldn't get one in my area :/ I fell in love with him when I seen him :) I may even set him up in his own tank.... Because I still want a Porcupine & I don't think they can coexist?? So I would be acclimating him all in one day? I was under the assumption he would be brackish for awhile first? He is about an inch and a half at the moment. If I were to do his own tank how big of a tank does he require?

Yep, cycled 75g. 1.025, I'm adding him to my reef while I set up the 150g I'm sacrificing my hermits & snails for this little guy. I really wanted a Porcupine Puffer but couldn't get one in my area :/ I fell in love with him when I seen him :) I may even set him up in his own tank.... Because I still want a Porcupine & I don't think they can coexist?? So I would be acclimating him all in one day? I was under the assumption he would be brackish for awhile first? He is about an inch and a half at the moment. If I were to do his own tank how big of a tank does he require?

A 75g will be a great size tank for him!

It may take him some time before he would actually eat all of the snails and hermits. Or he may not mess with them while he is at that size. I've got a CUC in my tank and I hope to have the puffer added within the next month, its been up and running for some time but I wanted the puffer as the last addition.

They are adorable! It was the GSPs that first caught my attention as far as puffers go. I'd love to have a dogface or a porcupine, hope to one day, I just don't have a large enough tank for either right now.

I'm not sure about housing a porcupine with a GSP. I don't know that I would chance it unless I had a rather large tank. I'm not too familiar with porcupines but do believe they are generally more peaceful than GSPs. If thats the case, it would be the GSPs temperament I would worry about, at least at first. Eventually, given the potential size difference, the GSP would be in trouble. I really can't say much on that subject, though I know its usually not advised (depending on the puffers in question) to house more than one puffer together under normal circumstances.

He would be fine in brackish for some time, and that is what is usually suggested when they're younger, then onto full marine conditions as adults. There is no harm in acclimating him to full marine to begin with even at his size/age. So you could definitely acclimate him straight to marine if you wanted to.

After my research, it seemed it would have been easier just to go to straight marine rather than brackish. Mainly because of cost and filtration options. Filtration options in full marine (addition of live rock, skimmer, etc.) vs brackish are more efficient. Once the saltwater tank was established (if proper filtration is utilized) it wouldn't require as many water changes as a brackish (especially true to high end brackish) tank. Obviously frequent water changes on a high end brackish tank would add up in cost with all of that salt. It just makes more sense, especially if you already have a saltwater tank (in your case) or would be going to full saltwater eventually anyway (as I was intending to).

If you wanted to set up a tank just for him, which would be great too of course, the size could depend on the salinity you would be housing him at. A 30g minimum is recommended for a single GSP but that size would be best for brackish. To attempt full marine conditions in a 30g to house a GSP full term would be problematic because of space. The live rock needed for ample filtration would take up a lot of that space/water volume. Thus making it difficult for a full grown GSP to swim and less water volume would pose problems with water quality, as I'm sure you know puffers are high bioload.

For full marine conditions, I'd say something like a 40g breeder (similar size/footprint) would be great for a single GSP.

Thank you SO much!!! That was alot of great info :) if I set up another tank it would be fully marine. I'm going to investigate more on housing the 2. The tank I'm getting ready will be a predator tank 5 ft long and 2 ft wide. I'm excited toget him in the reef now :) thank you, again!

Thank you SO much!!! That was alot of great info :) if I set up another tank it would be fully marine. I'm going to investigate more on housing the 2. The tank I'm getting ready will be a predator tank 5 ft long and 2 ft wide. I'm excited toget him in the reef now :) thank you, again!

You're very welcome, glad I could be of help!

I would definitely look more into housing those two together. No idea how much information is out there on that subject, just know it seems common (and for good reason) to recommend against housing puffers together. That would be neat if it'd work out though.

I just noticed, I believe you mentioned earlier too though, that you said reef tank. I'm assuming corals? In case you don't already know that can be risky with puffers, its just one of those things that will vary from puffer to puffer as far as if they'll leave the corals alone or not. I'll be taking the risk though with adding a puffer to my tank. I just didn't want to not say anything and that be an issue, just in case.

Good luck with the tank!

You're very welcome, glad I could be of help!

I would definitely look more into housing those two together. No idea how much information is out there on that subject, just know it seems common (and for good reason) to recommend against housing puffers together. That would be neat if it'd work out though.

I just noticed, I believe you mentioned earlier too though, that you said reef tank. I'm assuming corals? In case you don't already know that can be risky with puffers, its just one of those things that will vary from puffer to puffer as far as if they'll leave the corals alone or not. I'll be taking the risk though with adding a puffer to my tank. I just didn't want to not say anything and that be an issue, just in case.

Good luck with the tank!

Haha it's the saddest reef ever lol. I have a super small Xenia because my scribbled rabbitfish eats on it & 2 very small Palys of some sort (I think) & loads of mushrooms. I also have 2 Nems. A rock & Bubble tip.

My Rabbitfish loves to eat my corals so I haven't really bought any lately :)

I had one of those little bastards! Lol, he just about killed my mystery wrasse, my Picasso clown mated pair, and chased my royal gramma around the tank for weeks. I finally got rid of him after i saw him eating, literally eating my zoas. Two or three at a time. They are not reef compatible at all, and my lfs said that he went after one of their bicolor blennys and just about killed him too after I traded him in. Just be careful with him if you have to have him, but just my two cents.

I had one of those little bastards! Lol, he just about killed my mystery wrasse, my Picasso clown mated pair, and chased my royal gramma around the tank for weeks. I finally got rid of him after insane him eating, literally eating my zoas. They are not reef compatible at all, and my lfs said that he went after one of their bicolor blennys and just about killed him too. Just be careful with him if you have to have him, but just my two cents.

Their temperament is exactly why I'm going with a Toby puffer. I know it varies by fish but still, the green spotted puffers are definitely known for their aggression. If I could, Id set up a tank just for one.

Haha it's the saddest reef ever lol. I have a super small Xenia because my scribbled rabbitfish eats on it & 2 very small Palys of some sort (I think) & loads of mushrooms. I also have 2 Nems. A rock & Bubble tip.

My Rabbitfish loves to eat my corals so I haven't really bought any lately :)

Ah, okay. When I read reef I was thinking a tank full of corals lol.

I don't plan on putting too much into corals, at least not yet, since I know the puffer may decide to nip/eat them. All my other fish are reef safe, well when it comes to corals. I'm pretty sure my wrasse has ate my nass. snails.

Ah, okay. When I read reef I was thinking a tank full of corals lol.

I don't plan on putting too much into corals, at least not yet, since I know the puffer may decide to nip/eat them. All my other fish are reef safe, well when it comes to corals. I'm pretty sure my wrasse has ate my nass. snails.

Yea, I was trying for a reef but my rabbitfish finds it delicious so I'm kinda giving up until he is moved to the predator tank :) I have an aggressive Clarkii & Lyretail Chromis so I'm not too worried about the puffer picking on them, they are big bullies! He will be moved to the predator tank as well as soon as its up and cycled.

Attachments

• image-3259932386.jpg
    image-3259932386.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Just thought I would update this and say that Puff is doing great & is full salt now :) I took the slow and steady approach and dripped him for 2 days. He is still a little shell shocked being in such a large tank I think as he is hiding alot. Doesn't help one of my clowns is picking on him a little. He is a very tiny guy still at about an inch and a half nose to tip of tail. Hope all goes well from here on out.

Just thought I would update this and say that Puff is doing great & is full salt now :) I took the slow and steady approach and dripped him for 2 days. He is still a little shell shocked being in such a large tank I think as he is hiding alot. Doesn't help one of my clowns is picking on him a little. He is a very tiny guy still at about an inch and a half nose to tip of tail. Hope all goes well from here on out.

Little late on the reply but glad to hear things are going great!

Gosh that is tiny! I just got my solandri puffer the other day and she's much bigger at at least 2 1/2-3 inches not including tail.

Hope things continue to work out with your little guy!

Back
Top Bottom