Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

acclimation

Hi all, I saw a post on acclimating new fish and such to a tank. What is the proper way to do this. I am still in the setup process, and have not really thought about it till now. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=18

There is a really good artical on acclimation. Good luck =P

Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK, i am about to cause a huge controversy. The following is a quote from Bruce Davidson, owner of Sandy's Pet Shop in Louisville KY:

"NO float, NO mix, just a quick catch and release with the aquarium lights off. I feel that acclamation is one of those things that "we" have been doing forever and has never been questioned, until now. When I started in the pet shop business several years ago I floated fish bags for 10-15 minutes and then put the fish through a slow acclamation process. Bothered by the rate of fish losses in the first few days after a shipment I looked for a better way. Initially I tried every method suggested to me. I kept notes and found little improvement with the different methods. Finally I tried the no float no mix technique and had wonderful results. It has been several years with 4 shipments of fish a week and I still think this is best for the fish. Invertebrates like shrimp, crabs and starfish do need salinity acclamation. The only reason we can bag fish is that CO2 from respiration lowers the pH. At a low pH ammonia is non-toxic. When you open the bag you allow CO2 to escape, the pH will start to rise and this will allow the ammonia to become toxic. The longer the acclamation the longer the fish will be exposed to high ammonia. When transferring fish, temperature and salinity acclamation in my opinion is simply not needed. Water temperature and salinity on the reef will change twice daily with the tide. The temperature swing can be over 10¬ļ with the tide change. Fish are routinely exposed to temperature changes as they ascend and descend."

Bruce has been doing this for over 10 years now, as have his customers. I have personally done so this entier time of over 10 years with wonderful results. Bottom line is, do not acclimate at all. Everything you think is common sence is not supported by the chemistry which takes place inside the bag of water during acclimation.

This movement was supported by several huge names in the hobby in all the major aquarium magazines in the early 1990's. For some reason, it was widely ignored by the general public, probably because it sounds drastic. Try it! You will be very glad you did!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bah, I'd still do a drip acclimation. LFS's are known for shady advice.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, Bunk That. I've seen the loss sheets at LFS.

Drip.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Like i said, i understand this is controversial. I agree most LFS are hard to trust. But i am definately starting to notice a trend in these forums that "if the LFS said it then it must be wrong." Guys, there are some outstanding LFS out there.

The no-acclimation system i mentioned above was pushed by Eric Borneman, if memory serves me correct. I only took the quote from Bruce's website to save the trouble of explaining it myself. This wasn't some wild idea of an LFS. This is a technique which is proven to work AND backed by the laws of chemistry. It really isnt' something to dismiss lightly without consideration. Buy the test kits. Test your acclimation water. Try both methods. At least be somewhat willing to consider other possibilites in this hobby. It wasn't long ago that "the experts" were questioning if the Berlin method would work in a reef tank without biological filtration material.

For the record, I deal with this LFS frequently. They are an AMDA member. They have hosted MACNA here in Louisville. This isn't a person whose advice i ignore.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never hurt to try out this method with a less expensive fish. Hey if the fish die, atleast its not your most expensive fish.JMO
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
hmmmmm. I am getting some new chromis in tomorrow. Think I may try it just to see.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I actually think the chemistry would also support introducing an organism to a vastly different set of factors slowly is easier on the organism.

There are very few organisms that respond well to shock. I still say bunk, and it might work for some of your live stock, but I'm willing to bet if you take something like a cleaner shrimp that was sent to you via FedEx overnight and just chuck him in, you will be very upset with your $25 loss.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

This is very interesting. The 2 LFS I go to do the same with their fish. No acclimation. Both swear by it also. Bearfan, Mark never said that this works for shrimp and crabs, just fish.

This has the potential for a good debate! Can't wait to see it unfold.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acclimation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com