acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I saw a post on acclimating new fish and such to a tank. What is the proper way to do this. I am still in the setup process, and have not really thought about it till now. Thanks.

OK, i am about to cause a huge controversy. The following is a quote from Bruce Davidson, owner of Sandy's Pet Shop in Louisville KY:

"NO float, NO mix, just a quick catch and release with the aquarium lights off. I feel that acclamation is one of those things that "we" have been doing forever and has never been questioned, until now. When I started in the pet shop business several years ago I floated fish bags for 10-15 minutes and then put the fish through a slow acclamation process. Bothered by the rate of fish losses in the first few days after a shipment I looked for a better way. Initially I tried every method suggested to me. I kept notes and found little improvement with the different methods. Finally I tried the no float no mix technique and had wonderful results. It has been several years with 4 shipments of fish a week and I still think this is best for the fish. Invertebrates like shrimp, crabs and starfish do need salinity acclamation. The only reason we can bag fish is that CO2 from respiration lowers the pH. At a low pH ammonia is non-toxic. When you open the bag you allow CO2 to escape, the pH will start to rise and this will allow the ammonia to become toxic. The longer the acclamation the longer the fish will be exposed to high ammonia. When transferring fish, temperature and salinity acclamation in my opinion is simply not needed. Water temperature and salinity on the reef will change twice daily with the tide. The temperature swing can be over 10º with the tide change. Fish are routinely exposed to temperature changes as they ascend and descend."

Bruce has been doing this for over 10 years now, as have his customers. I have personally done so this entier time of over 10 years with wonderful results. Bottom line is, do not acclimate at all. Everything you think is common sence is not supported by the chemistry which takes place inside the bag of water during acclimation.

This movement was supported by several huge names in the hobby in all the major aquarium magazines in the early 1990's. For some reason, it was widely ignored by the general public, probably because it sounds drastic. Try it! You will be very glad you did!

Like i said, i understand this is controversial. I agree most LFS are hard to trust. But i am definately starting to notice a trend in these forums that "if the LFS said it then it must be wrong." Guys, there are some outstanding LFS out there.

The no-acclimation system i mentioned above was pushed by Eric Borneman, if memory serves me correct. I only took the quote from Bruce's website to save the trouble of explaining it myself. This wasn't some wild idea of an LFS. This is a technique which is proven to work AND backed by the laws of chemistry. It really isnt' something to dismiss lightly without consideration. Buy the test kits. Test your acclimation water. Try both methods. At least be somewhat willing to consider other possibilites in this hobby. It wasn't long ago that "the experts" were questioning if the Berlin method would work in a reef tank without biological filtration material.

For the record, I deal with this LFS frequently. They are an AMDA member. They have hosted MACNA here in Louisville. This isn't a person whose advice i ignore.

I actually think the chemistry would also support introducing an organism to a vastly different set of factors slowly is easier on the organism.

There are very few organisms that respond well to shock. I still say bunk, and it might work for some of your live stock, but I'm willing to bet if you take something like a cleaner shrimp that was sent to you via FedEx overnight and just chuck him in, you will be very upset with your $25 loss.

This is very interesting. The 2 LFS I go to do the same with their fish. No acclimation. Both swear by it also. Bearfan, Mark never said that this works for shrimp and crabs, just fish.

This has the potential for a good debate! Can't wait to see it unfold. :onfire:

austinsdad said:
Bearfan, Mark never said that this works for shrimp and crabs, just fish.

True, but chemistry is a big part of the argument, and this is a big hole in that argument.

I definately understand both sides of the debate. I can offer you this: I have been keeping saltwater for over 15 years. I have had over 10 SW tanks at a single time and a fishroom of 48 aquariums. I have never acclimated a single fish and have never had a fish experience any form of shock. I do not mail order fish. All my fish are from LFS. However, my LFS also does not acclimate and they receive fish from all over the US, so I would expect this to be similar to mail ordering a fish to your home.

In the cold winter months, i will let the fish bag sit in my home for 20 minutes or so until the water rooms up toward room temperature. However, I do not float and do not combine water.

Also, i just recently brought my pond Shubunkins in for the winter. The pond temperature was below 60. The tank inside 75. No acclimation. Just threw 'em right in! No problems...

This is very interesting. I too would like to see this debate unfold! BTW, what is a sticky? Does this deserve to become one?

i tried it with some green chromis today, worked well. Everyone went right in and even ate tonight. Couldn't bear to try it with my baby maculosus angel that came too, and he is also doing well. Oh, so confusing.

Back
Top Bottom