Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Acclimation by LFS

Acclimation is always mentioned. First u float the bag, then drip acclimate. However, I have been noticing something as I research this hobby. I have been visiting 7 of the Saltwater specialty LFS' in my area. As they receive new fish and coral, none acclimate. Other than floating the bags, they simply put the new items into their various tanks. Whether its a touchy shrimp, a batch of clowns, or a pieces of coral. Again, none drip acclimate nor dip. Only float to temp acclimate. True, I feel some are better shops than others, but ALL follow this practice.
I'm very new, so of course, I take great pains to acclimate. But why go to the trouble if they weren't acclimated by the LFS? I'm confused.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want your investment to last a long time. Lfs only needs to sell it to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't drip acclimate. I don't really float either. The LFS is literally 15 feet from my back door.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never heard of anyone not acclimating there fish. And any fish store I go to do the same. If you look on line for fish all the web sites have very specific instructions on how they want the fish acclimated. Keep doing it, your doing the right thing.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

its not always needed to drip acclimate but it does put less stress on the fish durign an already stressful time. only things i would actually drip longer then one fill are shrimp and stars. they are more sensitive to salinity then fish or other inverts
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Believe me. I will continue to acclimate. It just seems so weird that none of the "expert" stores here do it. Ugh! Thank you for the responses.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fish are more likely to die because of the ammonia than not being acclimated. Also the amount of oxygen in the water is probably another factor to make them get the fish out asap.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie
I don't drip acclimate. I don't really float either. The LFS is literally 15 feet from my back door.
It really doesn't matter how close or far away your LFS is, its the difference in water parameters between their tank and yours that make acclimation necessary.

I personally drip acclimate everything I put in my tank for a few hours. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If their water is really that different than mine then I wouldn't expect inverts and all their fish to be alive. They rarely have any casualties in their tanks. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be temperature difference but with that short of a walk there isn't a big swing. I have never had casualties due to no acclimation. Even the foxface I bought that was on the verge of death in their tank due to damage during shipping got better within days and I didn't acclimate him. But you are right. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish that have been caught from the wild or even captive bred, shipped to a vendor, shipped to a LFS, bought by us, brought home, then put in our tanks go through alot of stress in a relatively short time period. It's not that the LFS has poor water parameters or even that you do. Its a sudden swing after all that that can effect them. I can see your point though, and perhaps the parameters are close enough that you won't have any losses, but there are plenty of cases on this site where people don't acclimate and their fish end up in trouble.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

Tags
acclimation, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com