Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow 39 hours later and he is still swimming! He has not ate yet, I threw a bit of thawed krill in and he swam towards it and nipped it but didnt eat it.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
the krill is most likely to big for him unless you chop it up real well first i would pick up some fish food or make some good luck with your project and keep us updated

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: Acclimation disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwculp
I pull the bags out and guess what, one of the bags has holes in it!! What else could go wrong, now I have possibly a bit of tap water in the tank.
?

Possibly an ounce of tap water in 55 gallons of SW? I replace evaporated SW with plain old tap water.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should at least add a dechlorinator to the tapwater to help get rid of chlorine and chloramines as these are poisonous to livestock!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
never heart of powerheads causing that. If anything the powerhead pointing towards the top of the tank would help cool the water..
Old 09-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
never heart of powerheads causing that. If anything the powerhead pointing towards the top of the tank would help cool the water..
I do not know what was causing the temp to rise so high. I have since plugged the power heads back in and the temp is remaining at 81 degrees. I have since bought a new aquarium, one with far more surface area to aid with cooling. I will transfer everything to the new aquarium later this week.

Quote:
the krill is most likely to big for him unless you chop it up real well first i would pick up some fish food or make some good luck with your project and keep us updated
It is pretty small krill and is actually fish food, frozen krill bought at the LFS, I also feed it to my freshwater fish. The clown is pretty big and can easily eat the krill, he is bigger than most of my freshwater fish and they eat it with ease. I tried some small mysis shrimp today and he did the same thing. He acted interested , swam towards it, nipped at it then swam back to his spot. I will hold off feeding again for a couple days then try again. I know he was probably eating at the LFS as a couple of times in the last few days he was trailing fecal matter.

Everything seems to be going fine, he is still swimming. He has a corner he stays in, but comes out and swims around every now and then and then returns to his corner.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Diablo
Sure you can do This! it's not Rocket Science.
lol. I just remembered a quote " I just wanted some salt water fish, didn't know I would have to become a marine biologist" - unknown.

Usually powerheads don't heat up the tank that much. I would check the heater also because it might be sticking. I had a heater stick on my mini-bow and it boiled my peppermint shrimp to the point where the meat looked whitish like a cooked shrimp. Good thing that was the only livestock in the tank besides aiptasia and live rock.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #18

Well, 10 days later and he is still alive!!! In fact, he is doing well! I was worried about him and was even thinking of trying to return him. He was staying in one spot in the tank, swimming very little and not eating. He has come around really well. He eats like crazy and spends most of his time swimming around the tank, at all levels, full of life and energy! I think he is gonna be fine!

I convert to a full blown reef in a month and a few weeks!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwculp
Well, 7am and he looks good. Water temp is 80, he has survived 12 hours in the tank. A new record for a saltwater fish for me! I tired this a couple years ago and promptly killed 3 damsel fish one after the other and gave up and went fresh, but I was doing it all wrong back then, a couple years of research later and maybe I can do this!!
How did you manage to kill 3 damsels in under 12 hours!?!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #20

Quote:
How did you manage to kill 3 damsels in under 12 hours!?!
Really, it wasnt hard. It was three damsels who each lasted less than 12 hours, not three in a row in under 12 hours. Who knows what I was doing wrong then. I think I got it right this time though!

Tags
acclimation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com