Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Acclimation disaster

So, I have wanted to setup a small marine tank in my classroom for quite sometime. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with around 40 fish (mostly barbs) in it and a river tank system in my classroom I have maintained for quite some time. However, I have always wanted a marine tank. I actually researched for (believe it or not) a couple of years before taking the plunge.

I decided to setup a 29 gallon fish only system and convert it to a nano-reef in the near future when I could afford the lights and live rock. I got all the equipment and even got sand and water from a well-established tank from a friend of mine. Set everything up, discovered a small leak in the protein skimmer (a Bak-Pak II), fixed it, and monitored the tank for a couple of days and pH, alkalinity, specific gravity, and temp (80) and other params were holding rock steady and well within acceptable limits. So I decided to get the fish tonight after work.

I decided to maintain the tank at 80 degrees, a bit warm, for a reason. In my classroom, holding a steady lower temp would be difficult. I can maintain 80 with no problems what so ever, in fact, my freshwater tank holds steady at 80 with little to no change.

So, I pick out a very nice looking Percula clown who is fat, colorful, active, and eating. I get him back and begin acclimating him. I float the bag and the water seems warm, I check the thermometer, it says 80 so I figure it is just me. After about 30 minutes of floating I decide to begin acclimating him to pH and salinity and I still think, "Gee, this water DOES seem warm." I go over to my freshwater tank and dip my fingers in and I realize something is terribly wrong as the water feels cool (as it should). I take my thermometer from it, clean it and place it into the marine tank. It reads a devastating 95 degrees!!

I’m in a panic now, I call a friend, he says get ziplock baggies and fill them with ice and float them. I do. I also pull out some of the powerheads as I figure this is where the heat is coming from and I don’t need them in a fish-only system. The water begins to cool and I am feeling better. I pull the bags out and guess what, one of the bags has holes in it!! What else could go wrong, now I have possibly a bit of tap water in the tank. I add some water treatment and continue to acclimate the fish in the bag.

Finally, after acclimation is finished I net him and place him in the tank. He swims around a bit, and finally settles to the bottom under a ledge and hangs out there. I watch him for about 30 minutes, he didn’t appear to be breathing hard or swimming erratically. I will find out if he is still alive in the morning.

I feel like a moron now.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Geez, hope the little guy's okay in the morning. What went wrong? The heater? The thermometer?

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He will probably be ok. Clowns are pretty hardy fish, although 95 is pretty warm, unless you plan on adding lemon and garlic . Powerheads should not heat your tank that much unless something is seriously wrong with them. Finding where all that heat came from is obviously pretty important.

A little tap water in the tank is no problem, I use it as top off now and then when I forget to set water out the night before. It hasn't affected my reef in any way I can see. Using sand and water from an established tank "can" shorten or eliminate the cycle, but it's not a sure thing. But if you've only been setup for a couple days there is the possibility it has not cycled. Test your water daily to make sure its not going through a mini cycle. If so be prepared to do daily water changes if you want to keep the fish alive until the tank completes its cycle. the water changes will drag the cycle out considerably. The only acceptable levels for ammonia and nitrite are 0, you can fudge a bit on the nitrates tho'.

Welcome to AA.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #4

Well, 7am and he looks good. Water temp is 80, he has survived 12 hours in the tank. A new record for a saltwater fish for me! I tired this a couple years ago and promptly killed 3 damsel fish one after the other and gave up and went fresh, but I was doing it all wrong back then, a couple years of research later and maybe I can do this!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sure you can do This! it's not Rocket Science.
The learning is part of the fun.

Good Luck.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't worry we all run into a problem once in a while but you just have to stick with it no one said having a sw tank would be easy but its very rewarding in the end. good luck

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not rocket science, but it does require a lot of thought, vigilance and conscientiousness.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It's not rocket science, but it does require a lot of thought, vigilance and conscientiousness.
Don't forget the toughest of all, "Patience"!

Good Luck and have fun DWCULP!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too right!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:27 PM   #10

Looks good still

21 hours later and the fish is still alive. He/She spent most of the day bobbing near a corner of the tank but has begun cruising the rest of the bottom. Temp is about 26 C.

Tags
acclimation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com