Acclimation for Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my cycle is coming to an end and im gonna get 1 or 2 of those clean up crew invert packs from liveaquaria and was wondering what kind of acclimation is required for like snails hermits and stars .... i know when i got MTS for my FW i would just throw em in and they would be fine but im assuming its a little different for saltwater inverts .... and any advice on taking care of this specis is welcome also seeing as this is my first SW tank .. TIA

Ray

I am going to warn you..do not get hermits and mix them with snails!!!

I had a large hermit and he ate a baby trigger, shrimp, 20 snails, emerald crab..all in a week.
Also, my tiny tiny blue and brown legged crabs (1/4 inch) gang up on my snails and take their shells too!!!
So all I can say is..I am CRABLESS forever. I don't even bother with them.

If I were you I would suggest different kinds of snails, brittle starfish (in awhile when your tank is a bit old)

I once I didn't drip water from my tank into the baggie from the LFS and a few snails must have died from shock. Make sure to be patient when acclimating so that the temp AND salinity can even out.

:)
Courtney

smaller species of reef hermits are generally safe, like the scarlet or blue-leg. There are other larger species of hermits that are not safe in a reef tank. Ordering a clean up crew package should ensure you get the correct species.

Acclimation for inverts can be tricky as they are sensitive to varying water conditions. I use a 2 hour drip acclimation with mine.

Could you explain this drip acclimation .... ive heard of it but never done it ... i use a diff one for FW where i take out water out of the bag and replace it with tank water over a period of time

Ray

I drip my inverts for at least 2 hours, just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom