Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2003, 10:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lesson learned. I also think I won't be doing business with this LFS anymore. Pity since it is the only one within 15 miles. I am going to call tomorrow and see if they will take the Clown back and maybe check out Live Aquaria.

In case it helps anyone think of someting innovative here is a video of the behaviour. http://home.nc.rr.com/ncwire/My%20Pictures/

Old 06-21-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
oh my gosh that is so sad

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I watched the video, he does not look sick to me. I would be interested in another opinion. It seems like he just does not know where he is. Keep an eye on the damsels to be sure they do not bully him. Does he have some hiding places?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: He has started to move around a bit and has now moved to the back of the tank behind some rocks; however, he still remains relatively stationary in a spot and does not explore the tank yet. For some reason the damsels don't seem to bother him and he has even chased the yellow tail damsel a couple of times. A good sign I think!! I am feeding them flake food and have not seem him feed yet. I tried to mash some of the wet flake food into a small rock and dropped it right where he tends to stay but he showed no interest.

Any suggestions on how to get him to feed or how to target feed so the damsels do come in a gobble everything up?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hope someone has an idea, because (I hate to tell you this) but I have personally never got one to eat well that was wild caught. Maybe someone has some ideas?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:36 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

the only thing I can think of is the flake food. Being wild caught it may simply not recognize it as food. Get to your LFS and pick up a package of brine shrimp. Your damsels will eat this as well (mine goes nuts when i put them in the tank) You might be ok with frozen, but being that it's wild caught it may be more interested in live brine shrimp. My opinion though, would be not to worry about it if you can only find frozen.

I agree with the others, he looks quite active, not sluggish just, perhaps, confused or desperate. Understandble given what it's been through in probably the last month or so. Chasing the other fish and moving around the tank some is deffinintly a good sign. He's active. Now we just need to get him to eat. try the brine shrimp and let us know how that goes.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought some live brine shrimp and he did eat, another good sign He seemed more active, as did the entire tank, after the shrimp were consumed. Although this brings up a couple of other questions.

1) what is the best way to feed brine. I just dipped the net in the bag from the LFS and dumped in the tank and this ended up being way to much
2) How long will they live in the bag from the LFS?
3) should I do anything to keep them alive longer?

I also bought some frozen and will try that once I use up the live.

I am much more optimistic for the little fella now and thank for the help/suggestions.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:42 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

that is great news!

as I have never had the opportunity to use live brine I'll have to defer to others that have. I would imagine they don't take much to keep alive... actualy... see this thread, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4664 for a recent discussion on the same topic

As far as scooping them out of the bag, I would imagine for the brine thats really all you need to do. You don't expect them to live much longer than being dinner so don't worry about how you introduce them to the tank. They probably won't live long in the bag, see the above link, I would suggest at least a 1-2 gallon tupperware container with heater and airstone should be fine, give it a water change once in a while and I have heard you can feed them flake food just fine.

*shrug* like i said I've never had them my self so I hope this all works for you.

I'm just happy your clown is now feeding!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:45 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I have heard brine is not very nutritous, but might need some more feedback on that.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Indeed, brine doesn't have much nutritional value at all. Get him started on that (as you are) and then move him over to more substantial foods like formula one, prime reef, etc. soaked in a good supplement (I soak my food in Selcon once or twice a week.

Regardless, it is good to hear that he is doing better. The trip from collection---distributor---LFS---your tank is quite stressful and most fish need several days to even begin acting normal. He should be waddling around just fine very soon.

Tags
acclimation, clown, clown fish, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com