Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Acclimation of Percula Clown fish

I purchased a Clown fish (Percula) today for my 55G set up. The tank is relatively new, started in April, and has two damsels (Domino and Yellow tail). The Clown fish was live caught, despite my efforts to find a captive bred at a LFS in my area, and has been in the tank for about 5 hours. I realize the little guy is probably stressed but his behaviour seems strange. He appears healthy (alert, colorful, fat) but has been in the front, bottom corner of the tank with is nose buried in the corner right were the silicone sealant is, and has not left this area yet. He does not even hide when you put your hand or face right up next to the tank. The damsels have not bothered him. I have about 90# of LR for him to hide in but he just sits in the front corner.

Should I be concerned?
Should I do anything?
Just wait for further acclimation?
Should I have bought two? I have read conflicting advice on this.

Thanx for any suggestions.

PS Water Change done two days ago and parameters are as follow
NH3/NH4- 0
NO4- 0
NO3- 5
pH-8.1
Temp-81.8
Salinity- 1.024

Old 06-21-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

your readings look ok for water quality. How did you introduce the clown into the water?

Old 06-21-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Acclimated the fish by keeping in bag for 30 min and adding aquarium water at 10 min intervals. Then removed fish did a 1min Methylene Blue Freshwater dip, rinsed in aquarium water in a bucket and then into the tank.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
sounds like a GOOD acclimation to me. i just drip for like an hour then into the tank they go.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well he has moved from the front corner to the back corner but still remain in the corner with his nose pressed to the silicone. He does not appear to be interested in feeding at all. Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

hmmm I'm kinda stuck. Your acclimation sounds ok to me (although I'm unfamiliar with the "Methylene Blue" dip and rinse steps you mentioned but there's a lot i'm not yet familiar with.

I had a puffer that exhibited very similar behaviour but that was simply how he "rested". Any time I approached the tank he swam up and interacted with me and fed eagerly.

What was tank at the LFS where you got him like?

Being that he was live caught perhaps he is just stressed from yet a third "capture" and transport?

but what to do to help him now, I am uncertain. You may want to ask for this discussion to be moved into the "Sick Fish" forum. You may get better answers there.

Keep us posted (btw what are you trying to feed him?)
Old 06-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
What was tank at the LFS where you got him like?
Looked OK to me, but I am somewhat of a novice. There were two other Percula in there along with three large Yellow Tangs. All of them came in the day before. All were moving and feeding (brine)
Quote:
(btw what are you trying to feed him?)
I was feeding some flake food this morning but the Damsels never let any of it even sink below the surface.

Quote:
You may want to ask for this discussion to be moved into the "Sick Fish" forum. You may get better answers there.
Agree? How do I do that? The reason I put it here is beacause I did not think he was sick but rather I did something wrong in acclimation since I am a novice, but maybe he is sick.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #8

Question, is this a captive bred or wild Clown. The hardest thing for me was the getting them to eat for the wild caught. Captive bred are raised eating... I feel for you because I have gone through 4 of the wild ones and they died from starvation...I am not saying this to scare you so, I hope I don't...It is just nature and they do this... One thing also, is too many acclimations. could be stressed to no end. If they came in the day before, they were acclimated. Then you bought them and they were acclimated, then placed in preventative poison, and then placed in your tank. It is a lot for them to go through...A lot of people put a deposit on clowns here in the LFS, because if they stay in the store for a week and are eating good, then they seem to have a better chance in your tank...

It is frustrating and sad to watch them stare at the corner of the tank and swim or waddle up and down, and not be able to do anything about it.. I feel for you.

remember that just because a fish doesn't respond to it's new surroundings right away, doesn't neccessarily mean it won't snap into it and take over the whole tank as it's home..
Old 06-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
just a thought could you purchase a small coral for it to host in just saw a thread the other day that someone has a clown hosting zoos
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

your environment seems good. I agree with timbo that I never buy a fish that has not been at the LFS at least two weeks. My LFS wont even sell fish until they have been in a QT tank with mangroves at least a week. I know it is too late now, but good info for the future. Good luck, hope he is ok. Live aquaria sells captive bred perculas.

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acclimation, clown, clown fish, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com