Acrylic or Glass - Which do you prefer and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrylic is lighter but scratches a lot easier and is a lot better at holding in heat, Glass is a lot heavier, and harder to scratch than acrylic. it's a toss up to me. If I were going any larger than a 150 it would be acrylic but smaller I would go glass.

I have both acrylic and glass.
Acrylic is a better insulater, lighter, and is colorless unlike regular glass. Acrylic does scratch very easily but there are scratch removers that you can purchase. You just have be careful when working in the tank to avoid scratches. Acrylic cost more than standard glass.

Standard aquarium glass has green tinted color to it unlike Acrylic which is colorless. Some people don't like glass for this reason. Glass cost is cheaper. You can purchase tanks made from low iron glass(like Starphire) which greatly reduces the green color tint so that it's colorless. Low iron glass is a lot more expensive.

Acrylic is required in certain earthquake prone areas by insurance companies if you are a home owner, or gettin renters insurance. I have glass but I would have got acrylic if I could have afforded it. The weight factor is what does it for me.

Back
Top Bottom