Acrylic tanks, cleaning and scratches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I haven't even ventured into the SW forums in quite a while, but thought I'd ask this here, as acrylic tanks seem to be more common in SW than FW.

2 questions:

What is the best way/best product for cleaning algae from the inside of acrylic?

What is the best way/product for buffing out scratches on the outside of acrylic?

Any advice is appreciated :!:

I use a MagFloat alge remover. It was pricey.. but 30 seconds into my first use and I was convinved it was the best investment I'd made yet for my tank!

For tougher algaes (like some of the tough green alges in my FW tank) I use a handheld scraper with a plastic blade... i forget the name, but the plastic blade lets it get into the scratches of the glass (sorry, FW tank is actualy glass and quite old, SW is acrylic)

I've never tried anything for buffing out scratches.. my acrylic tank doesn't have any just yet... still pretty new :eek:) (knocks on wood!)

Hi corvuscorax,

For the outside of the tank, TruVu makes a two part acrylic repair kit.
One part is a scratch remover and the second part is a polish.
I can't remember the details but I have the stuff at home, I can get you the product names and part numbers, if you are interested.

I have seen a buffing kit containing very, very fine grades of wet/dry sand paper that the manufacturer claims can be used inside a running tank. However, I am skeptical, because all this fine acrylic dust particles can't be good if ingested by your tank inhabitants.

BUT, if you move your livestock into a temp holding tank, do your work and let the filters clean it out... It might be worth thinking about?

For the outside of the tank, TruVu makes a two part acrylic repair kit.
One part is a scratch remover and the second part is a polish.
I can't remember the details but I have the stuff at home, I can get you the product names and part numbers, if you are interested.

Yes, very much interested, thank you. I have a couple nasty scratches on the outside.

No scratches on the inside, that's not an issue, but I need a good algae scrubber for the inside that won't scratch it, any suggestions there?

No scratches on the inside, that's not an issue, but I need a good algae scrubber for the inside that won't scratch it, any suggestions there?

I think many of the magnetic algae scrappers come in either acrylic or glass versions.

I think many of the magnetic algae scrappers come in either acrylic or glass versions.

Yeah, from online searches they mostly seem to. I'm just looking for personal experience with one that really works. Even for glass tanks I've bought a bunch of algae scrapers that weren't very good, so I'd like to get this right the first time!

Well Ill second the suggestion for the Mag float. What I tend to do is buy 1 size up from the size recommended for your tank. This works for glass as it just puts more magnet surface area and more powerful magnet working for you.

For my acrylic 150, I used either an old credit card, or the kent scraper. I also used an acrylic magnet cleaner for the large areas far from the sand....pick up one grain of sand....and it is scratch city. For scratch remover...I once used a 3 part scratch remover, that I got from Sealife Systems out of Jacksonville, FL. It worked very well. http://www.sealifesystems.com/ There is a phone number on their website, even if they don't sell it anymore (might not have sold it in the first place...I was working for an LFS and we received it from them), they should be able to recommend a good kit. Just tell them you own one of their tanks and over the years it has aquired a few scratches.

Reefrunner, targaboy, thanks for the advice, looks like good stuff. I really appreciate it, as the acrylic is one mutha to clean. Dang green spot algae is really stubborn stuff, hope the scraper works as well as advertised. I'll get the scratch repair kit too, tired of looking at the scratches (2 are really bad, they need work). Prolly get the magfloat too, for my deeper glass tanks, as it gets old using a handle type scraper on them. Thanks again,

CC

Back
Top Bottom