Acrylic vs glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to get a larger tank. Right now I have a glass tank. The one I'm looking at on Craigslist is acrylic. What are the pros and cons. What would you recommed?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The advantage of glass is cheap price and it stays clear.

Advantage of acrylic is light weight, you can carry it by yourself, even if large. But not if really large.

I would ask about how to remove the cloudy scratches off of acrylic. I don't know how that can be done without draining the tank. Also how to keep it from clouding up in the first place????

Cleaning and polishing acrylic is simple! 2000 sand paper and a head light cleaning kit! Simple a will be crystal clear

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes to the sandpaper. Glass gets super ugly once you get scratches and you can't get rid of glass scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We went to see it today and it's empty. Swrils are not to bad. The only thing is it has 2 bulkheads on the bottom center. Is this old school. I never seen a aquarium with this. He wants $325.00 for it. 75 gallons. Do you think it's worth it. Can you explain the 2 holes on the bottom middle of the tank. Thanks

Attachments

• 1420863981624.jpg
    1420863981624.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
The two bulkheads would lead me to believe it was set up for UGF's with a substrate other than sand.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I did a little research it's a closed loop system. Does anyone have any information on this type of set up. Are the good or bad?

Yes, closed loops are good, however, pulling water from the very bottom may be a problem. You won't be able to use a substrate. IMO, that was a mistake putting those holes there. If you buy the tank, just close the holes for good.

BTW, it wasn't mentioned yet, but acrylic (that's not scratched) is clearer than glass. Low iron (starphire) glass comes close though, but you are going to pay for it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr.X. Do you think it's a good tank? I can close the holes and run the return back up to the top, there is a hole on the top back by the overflow box.do you think it is worth $325.00. There is bio balls in the sump, I would take those out and use a sock.

That's for you to decide. Is this really the tank you want? Do you like the stand?
Acrylic is super easy to drill and requires no special bit, so you can move the return or closed loop wherever you like with ease.
Acrylic is also super easy to scratch, and the ease of buffing out scratches is not going to be a comforting factor when it's full of water and livestock.
More care will have to be taken than with a glass tank, but that said, I would also consider an acrylic tank if the price was right.

What does the sump look like? Is it worth anything? What lighting is on it now and is it included?

There are no lights, I have a kessil 350w, I would get another one but and make a hole in the canopy for them. The sump has bio balls I would take them out and put in a water sock and my protein skimmer into the first chamber on the right then return pump on the left as well as my heater. The tank is about 10 years old and has been in his garage for 2 years. I have a 50 gallon rimless cube that I'm out growing. My living room is small so as 75 gallon would fit fine. I know it's not a big jump in size but it is longer and I think the fish will have more room. I have 8 fish.
3 chromis
2 true percula
1 six line wrass
1 orange anthias
1 yellow head goby
1 bta
And corals.

Attachments

• 1420910876686.jpg
    1420910876686.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 1420910893142.jpg
    1420910893142.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 100
The sump is a wet/dry, and instead of converting it, I would probably just get rid of it and make a sump that will work better for you. Probably a standard 20 long or a 29 partitioned just the way you wanted it would be a better fit IMO.
If a 75 gallon tank fits fine, would a 120? it's only another 6 inches front to back and then you would be making a sizable upgrade.

Thanks for the help and I think I will give it more thought and wait for something else.

Mr.X I took you advise and found a beautiful 125 gallon tank. I got it for $500.00. It is in Great condition. My husband and I will be getting it this weekend, we're moving it ourselves and I'm feeling a bit overwelmed. The guy is giving us his livestock too. 2 clownfish, 3 mono fish. I'm going to trad in the mono fish at my lfs. As for the clownfish, I already have 2. Can I have 4 in a big tank? The guy at my lfs said they will fight. What is you advise? Thanks. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed.

That's a 120, not a 125, but great find! Are you getting the rock and sand too? How long has this tank been set up? What kind of lighting does it have?
Yes, I still get that overwhelmed feeling when moving a tank!

I get everything, my lfs said to get new sand though. It has led lights, I think they are ebay knockoffs. There are 2 and one of them the white leds is not working. I have a kessil 350w I'm going to get another one. The tank has been running for about 2 years. He wanted $650.00 for everything I talked him down to $500.00. it has a u.v. sterilizer on it. I'm going to take it out.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Yes, I would be concerned that the sand would cause a spike when disrupted. Buy a bunch of cheap plastic totes with lids and transport the rock submerged in as much tank water as possible. Have a large water change prepared at home also.

When I get my tank home, should I put a grate down under the rock and sand

Back
Top Bottom