Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Acrylic vs. Glass for Reef Aquarium

Hey guys, right now I have a 12 gallon Nano cube and I want to upgrade...of course! I'm totally hooked and my fish need more room to swim! I have coral.

I'm looking at 75 - 100 gallons. And I'm debating acrylic (Tenecore) vs. glass from Oceanic. Any thoughts? Advice? I love the way the acrylic looks but I'm concerned about the scratching? Can anyone give me some advice/has experience with these tanks? Or should I just stick with old fashioned glass?

I'm also debating whether or not I should invest in MH lights or stick with power compacts... I've got mostly soft corals. Of course I wouldn't mind getting a clam or two eventually... And lastly... Do I need a chiller? And if so... Which brands do you guys trust to be the most quiet? JBJ?

L2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The thing I like most about acrylic is the tanks are frameless. But for the price....I cant see myself buying one. $400 for a good sized tank isnt my cup of tea. Not really a need for MH if your going to be doing all softies, but if you want a clam you will want to go with something like the Nova Extreme if you dont want MH. You wont need a chiller until you get something that will produce large amounts of heat like MH....unless your room temp is above 80.

Come Join The Dark Side
Marc118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Only thing I can say about acylic is I would hate to have to clean it. A local guy in my area hates the fact that he went from glass to acrylic since cleaning the corraline off the wall is a lot tougher to do. Maybe he is in the minority but he is the only one I know of with an acrylic tank.

Also, having MH does not mean you have to have a chiller. I do think it will depend on what you want your tank temp to be. If you are shooting for 76-78 F then it will be tough. If you shoot for 80-82 or 82-84 it will be alot easier to maintain. Having your sump in a cool place or placing fans on the sump can help with temps as well.

I have MH with T5 suppliments and I love it. I would hate to have to replace 8 T5's very often vs. 2 MH. I know T5's last longer but that is a lot of bulbs.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, glass, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com