Activating sand before introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm preparing to replace the CC substrate in my 55 gallon tank with new SDS (southdown sand) and I had a thought. If I setup a couple of temporary tubs and filled them with the sand, added some new saltwater along with water from my tank (say the next time I do a water change) set up that tub with a heater and PH, let it go for a day or two, then "sift" out my current CC into the tub to shake out any critters in there and the small amount of LS i do have, then put that sand into tank...

do you think that would provide me with any benefits? say reducing the shock to the tank's system (by cutting down the amount of time the LR and livestock are in a holding tub) and by giving the sand a chance to already develop the bacterias etc before it goes into the tank?

btw, I'm going to attempt to document this process so I can relate my experiences here as this seems to be a common thread among new SW hobbiests such as myself.

Sounds good to me...You can try to sift out the critters but it will be hard...I would just stir it up good in the tank and start removing it and kind of rinsing it as you are getting it out...Then when you have the CC out to your satisfaction, just add the sand... give it a day or 2 and it will settle down. Then you will be ready to go....

Back
Top Bottom