Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Activating sand before introduction

I'm preparing to replace the CC substrate in my 55 gallon tank with new SDS (southdown sand) and I had a thought. If I setup a couple of temporary tubs and filled them with the sand, added some new saltwater along with water from my tank (say the next time I do a water change) set up that tub with a heater and PH, let it go for a day or two, then "sift" out my current CC into the tub to shake out any critters in there and the small amount of LS i do have, then put that sand into tank...

do you think that would provide me with any benefits? say reducing the shock to the tank's system (by cutting down the amount of time the LR and livestock are in a holding tub) and by giving the sand a chance to already develop the bacterias etc before it goes into the tank?

btw, I'm going to attempt to document this process so I can relate my experiences here as this seems to be a common thread among new SW hobbiests such as myself.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #2
Sounds good to me...You can try to sift out the critters but it will be hard...I would just stir it up good in the tank and start removing it and kind of rinsing it as you are getting it out...Then when you have the CC out to your satisfaction, just add the sand... give it a day or 2 and it will settle down. Then you will be ready to go....

introduction, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com