addatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all. iam trying to encourage the growth of encrusting coraline algea iv read that adding magnesium and calcium help this. iv got an all in one addative iv followed the dosage and i was wondering how often i should add this

I like to keep my calc level around 450-470. And my mag level around 1250-1300.

Every reef tank likes levels diff. Some range 30 plus or below. For example my ph stays around 8.1-8.0, corals and fish have been doing fine. That's were the tank is the most comfortable for the ph, etc. I would not go over 500 on the calc and 1350 on the mag. Then again your levels can be a little lower. I have alot of sps corals, and mine like the calc about 450, and 1250 for the mag.

No problem. Tackel those corals, and enjoy the tank! When it's all said and done, let's see some pic's!

ENTER_NAME said:
I like to keep my calc level around 450-470. And my mag level around 1250-1300.

Don't forget to also keep check on your Alk,keep it at least between 7 to 8.

Ricksreef said:
Don't forget to also keep check on your Alk,keep it at least between 7 to 8.

YES! Another big part, of saltwater. I don't know why i didn't say something like that. Lol Thanks for finishing my part. I prob would of never noticed.

craig_will2513 said:
alk is that ph................

No,Alkalinity,carbonate hardness is not PH.(Google it or wait for someone from this site to explain it,I have trouble understanding the correlation myself,LOL).
But if you maintain your calcium and Alkalinity at the proper levels your PH should stay stable.

One thing to consider is that you should have a test kit for EVERYTHING you dose. If you're adding magnesium make sure you have a test, so on and so forth.

Typically your partial water changes should be replenishing all the trace elements used by your corals, and dosing is not necessary. Dosing may become needed if your corals are using the trace elements faster than they can be replenished or if your salt mix ( ie: tropic marin reef crystals) doesnt contain any trace elements.

Hope that cleared things up a little. I have a tank full of corals, including SPS and I havent been dosing and I'm getting astounding growth out of them.
:-D

Back
Top Bottom