Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
bar
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Added live rock and ammonia shot up

So I added cured live rock to my tank. The rock has been curing for four weeks. The next morning, today, my fish looked very stresses, and I tested the ammonia. It's up at 8 ppm from zero! I had 160 pounds of LR already and put in 50 pounds of Vunuatu for my 125 tank. Am I in serious trouble? All I have are chromis right now, with some snails and hermit crabs.

I plan on changing ten gallons when I get home from work this afternoon.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

8 ppm is lethal - can you change more than 10 gallons? that's less than 10%

Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
bar

I guess I have no choice but to change more. I mixed up 10 gallons this morning and will add it this afternoon, then mix up some more and add it later. I assume it is better to add freshly mixed water than wait to age it with the ammonia so high.

Bruce
Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Evidently the rock was not cured. Die off from the rock probably caused the spike. BTW you did cycle the tank first right? Where did you get this rock and what makes you think it was already cured?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
bar

Well, I got it from the person who moved my tank, and he said that he purchased the rock about five weeks ago, and cured it for me, and he tested the water the rock was in. I test my water weekly and the ammonia has always been at zero, nitrites zero, and zitrates at 5 to 10 PPM. I put in a call to the "fish guy", and we shall see what he says.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dont go crazy with the water changes, it will only make the adjustment last longer. Chromis are very hardy fish, alot of people use them when they cycle with fish.

Take a deep breath you will be fine.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IIMO If you have 8 ppm then you need to do some PWC`s. That level is very lethal and PWC`s are necessary to get it down. Only people that dont know any better cycle with fish. Do some PWC`s then take a deep breath and you`ll be fine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am only saying don’t go crazy with the water changes... People have a tendency to over react, and overly stress the fish out.

I did -0- PWC for all the weeks I was cycling with my fish. It was the worst period of my life, I desperately wanted to change the water but I could not for the integrity of the cycle.

I take offense to the comment about cycling with fish, I knew the risks and rewards and I was entirely comfortable with them. That comment was completely uncalled for.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It was the truth. How do you take offense about the truth. We are still awaiting your proof that these fish were healthy and OK durin g the cycle. Any proof that you can offer us will go along way here.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How long had the tank been set up when you saw the sudden spike in your ammonia? Are all of your fish accounted for? Could one have died? Did you have any shrimp or a starfish or something else in the tank that could have died?

With a 125g tank and high ammonia doing a 10g water change isn't going to help a lot. You really need to look at 30g or more to have an impact. Regardless of whether your cycle is complete or not you need to get those ammonia levels down.

Walmart carries 32g trash cans for about $12 that are perfect for mixing SW in. I have 2 that I use for this purpose. See if you can do a larger PWC to have a greater impact on the levels.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com