Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am thinking the tap water was responsible...any more thoughts on that?

Old 02-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Quote:
I am thinking the tap water was responsible...any more thoughts on that?
He is from New York not sure on the tap there. That is a good point!

Old 02-08-2004, 01:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mach
My tank seems to be recover now. Since adding more powerheads , canister filter , and skimmer, sump, things seem to be getting better. Once my Aquafx Barracuda RO comes in, i will be doing another 50% water change. I cant afford to keep buying RO for $199 a gallon.

My LFS told me that it wasnt neccessary to do water changes, unless the smell was unbearable. They told me to just let the rock cure. And to let everything cycle out. They said that it would fix itself. Any truth to this?
Old 02-08-2004, 02:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it would "fix itself", but by doing water changes to keep the ammonia etc. down you'll save more life in/on the rock and, IMO, be happier in the long run. It should also reduce the amount of time it takes to fully cycle.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

FWIW I had a similar experience with my liverocks.com purchase. The inside temp of the boxes was down to 60 degrees when I opened them. There were some dead crabs in the bottom of the box and a couple still running around.

I placed the rock in a 20 gallon rubbermaid overnight (fresh sw mix and some tank water, some sand from the tank and a few small pieces of LR from the main tank.

I wanted to do a FW or carbonated water dip the next day to rid the rock of any unwanted hitchhikers. Last Saturday morning I awoke to that awful sewer smell in the living room.

I did at least a 30% water change every day using water from the main tank as the replacement. I had 2 PH's and a heater in there.

I put the LR into the main tank yesterday. I did a FW dip first to make sure there no pests, but not much survived the curing process. No shrimps in this batch either (not that I wanted any).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Even though my order from liverock.com came in without some of the above mentioned problems, I just think that it's just too cold up here in the northeast to purchase "fresh" LR this time of the year.
Think about it, liverock.com differs by attempting to send consumers the freshest rock available vs transhipped rock that has been sitting on a beach for days then held up in custom for another day or two. Believe me, you do pay for it via overnight shipping rates, but this is part of their business model.
I would definitely buy from Zack again, but I would plan it out better. I think spring and fall is a good time to order, probably see more of the lifeforms survive.
Others have also done very well with the other company that produces aquacultured LR in Florida. I forget their name, something like Tampa Bay Saltwater.....?
I heard good testimonials regarding their product but expect to pay almost 50% more. In addition, they use Fedex in which you can opt to have the shipment held at the local Fedex depot. This can buy you another 6 hrs that the fresh uncured rock gets into water.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mach
Everyone, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I now know what to do. This forum has helped me alot.

Thanks again,
Anthony
Old 02-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mach,
Just browsing a website that sells uncured LR, and these are their instructions:

cure live reef rock, you need the following equipment:
suitable size container (plastic garbage cans work well)
protein skimmer
powerheads
heater
a small scrub brush
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits

Instructions:
scrub off any dead sponges and soft corals
use good quality saltwater
use no lights for at least 10 days to avoid an algae bloom due to high nutrients
keep water heated (72-78 F)
perform frequent 50-100% water changes every 2-3 days
provide plenty of water movement within the container
provide plenty of oxygenation in the water by using the skimmer
The curing process will take 2-4 weeks depending on the amount of die-off on your rock

Removing Unwanted Guests:
A very effective treatment for eliminating unwanted critters in your fresh Live Rock is to dip each piece in a bucket of very saline water (SG 1.030) for a few moments. Mantis shrimp and bristle worms will quickly evacuate the rock.

(Iknow the garbage can thing won't apply, but they do state higher percentage of water changes more frequently)
Old 02-09-2004, 12:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat
I just think that it's just too cold up here in the northeast to purchase "fresh" LR this time of the year.
The day that mine showed up it was 15 F outside. I know that it was shipped at 7pm the previous day and I received it at 10:30 am. I had no problem whatsoever. There was no smell, no dieoff and lots of things crawling everywhere. I would have preferred to do it in warmer weather, but I don't think I could have come out of the deal any better than I did.

Jim
Old 02-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
but I don't think I could have come out of the deal any better than I did.
Your mileage may vary .
Mine got in around 12:30 p.m., was cold and there were some dead crabs in the bottom as well as some live ones. Perhaps you had more heat packs in your shipment, or it spent less time in an unheated warehouse or truck.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, live, liverock, rock, smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com