Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2004, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mach
added liverock, complete dieoff, and nasty smell . now what?

threw in 160lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand from Liverocks.com into my new tank on wed. Within 24hrs, every shrimp, snail, worm,crab, anything living on my rock and sand crawled to the front of the tank and died. Water turned brown. Whitish cotton substance rose to the surface , covering all of water. Smelled like death. What could of caused this? I did originally start my tank with tap water. But added 15g of RO water before rock was added. Could the tap be the main reason? The temp was at around 75. The SG was at around 1.025.

But all in a days work today, I managed to do a 100% water change this morning using only R0 water. Skimmed all dead lifeforms. Rinsed rock, cleaned off all powerheads, filter hoses , etc. Everything was pretty much contaminated by this nasty filth. I also am getting a sump and protein skimmer tommorrow. LFS told me a skimmer would be a great addition.

Am i missing anything? Where did I go wrong?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 02-07-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that is a surprise! I also received 2 boxes of LR from liverock.com last week (60 lbs) and all was and is fine. LR was relatively fresh, not much of a smell. I dumped the rocks into a rubbermaid container that I had prepared with aged tank water from a water change in anticipation of the rocks. Left the rocks in the rubbermaid with a heater & powerhead overnight until I had time the next day (Sat) to arrange the LR in the tank.
6 days now and all is fine, tested levels & no abnormal readings.
Did you leave the LR out of water for a long time? Was your tank water running for a while?
Did the LR stink when you unwrapped the paper towels?
Sounds like your going through the curing process again, luckily there are no fish or corals. Definitely get the skimmer, it'll help tremendously.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pecan2phat, curious, How many hitchhickers did you get with the live rock? Ex. shrimp, stars, coral, etc....
Old 02-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Anthony sounds like you had some fairly serious dieoff from the transport and that seems to be uncommon for LR.com rock. Do you know how long it was in transport and how long it was at your location prior to adding it to the tank?

Did you test your tank for ammonia or nitrite during this dieoff period? Im sure it was off the scale. Once ammonia and nitrite are 0 for a few days your ready for fish.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 AM   #5

Rock smelled good when I opened the boxes. My boxes were the first to be opened by airport security. Maybe that could of played a role. I dont know. It was in the boxes for over 24hrs. The rock wasnt out of the water for a long time. And my tank was running for about 2 weeks. How long does this curing process take? What should I expect? Any foul odors, et.? And how long till I start to see some life from my rocks?

Thanks for helping me out,
Anthony
Old 02-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
Pecan2phat, curious, How many hitchhickers did you get with the live rock? Ex. shrimp, stars, coral, etc....
MT79,
There wasn't as much as I thought I would find based on member's previous purchases.
There were a couple of serpent stars, some tiny encrusted clams, probably about a half dozen or so of small crabs. I didn't see any corals or shrimps but I'm sure that the're a few pistols in the rocks cause I hear them snap at night.
Found a handful of dead med size crabs at the bottom of the box though.
Hope this answers your ?
All-in-all, I found that the LR was worth it because it is as fresh as you can get without going through the curing cycle (been there, done that, no fun. Sort of like what Mach is going through). As for coraline coverage, it's moderate, nothing like Fiji coverage.
Some of the other factors were price, LR being aquacultured vs wild harvest and being fresh vs uncured or pre-cured.

Mach,
I would do frequent 20% water changes and add a good skimmer to the tank. The curing process should take about 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #7

How often should i do these water changes? I will be adding my skimmer on today. So I should expect this nasty smell for 2-3 weeks?
Old 02-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The smell should die down after the initial die off which you have already taken out as much visable die off and performed a major water change.
You will need to monitor the skimmer cup on a daily basis. This cup should fill up quickly due to the conditions off the tank. I would do a 20% every 4 days until the curing process is finished. That's my opinion, others may have more knowledge in this area and will definitely add to my habits and theory.
You should keep your lights off at this point as to avoid an algae bloom from the ripe conditions. If you see surviving life on the rocks that need light, then maybe you can turn on NO flourescent for a couple of hours a day. (I'd just leave the lights off)
Old 02-07-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Personally I would recommend a more aggressive waterchange schedule, I would go 50% every other day to minimize any more die off. Contamonation of the rock is certainly a possibility, if the rock was opened at the airport around something that was bad for the rock....then that would contribute to the die off.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
I am surpised that it smelled fine when you got it and such, but you place in the tank smeels bad. Usually the other way around

I would really do some water changes as well, can't think what happen...

Tags
die, live, liverock, rock, smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com