Added more LR and now tank params. are off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't understand what I did. I had my 55 gal cycled with 30 lbs LR and I wanted to add another 45 lbs. The readings of my tank before adding the rock were:
amm: 0
nitrite:0
nitrates: 10
phos: 0
ph: 8.2
alk. 2.5 (redsea test kit, idk what the conversion is but in normal range)
SG: 1.024
temp: 78
The rock had been curing for 3 weeks in my 30 gal rubbermaid and after testing and 50% water changes every other day, the readings in the curing tub hit amm: 0, nitrite:0, nitrates: 20. At that time I figured it was good to put in the tank so yesterday I reaquascaped with the new LR and walked away from the tank a very happy man.

I figured I would check the DT's params today and just double check and this is what I found:
amm: 0.25
nitrites: 0.5
nitrates: 10
phos: 0.1
ph: 8.2
alk: 2.5
SG 1.024
temp 78

It appears a mini cycle is going on, is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I thought once the curing tubs readings hit the right marks for 1-2 days it was good to go to place in the DT. :confused:

If it all tested out ok you probably stirred up some nasties resulting in the mini. If you're worried about the amm and nitrite levels give it a dose with Prime (or equivalent) till your bacteria catch up

I'm not too concerned about the minicycle really, I know it'll probably pass in a few days. I was just wondering if I had missed a step that caused it, but now that you mention stirring up nasty stuff, I do recall alot of junk coming out from under some of the LR in the tank when I moved them. Guess if I move the rocks around again I'll have a siphon on standby to vacuum out the junk I see.

when i do my monthly cleaning of my mbuna tank, i keep the python on standby, and as i move my rocks, i suck up the nasties... its a good practice imo :)

Back
Top Bottom