Added some rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreamerTheresa

Aquarium Advice Regular
YAY! My male accomplice (who is user Nightmare on this board, but I don't think he's posted anything yet) and I got 50 pounds of base rock and 50 pounds of live rock yesterday for our 135 gallon Oceanic.

zomgrock2.JPG

http://www.dreamertheresa.com/feesh/zomgrock3.JPG

http://www.dreamertheresa.com/feesh/zomgrock4.JPG

I anticipate adding another 20-30 pounds of base rock in a couple weeks. We're still on the look out hoping a crab or something hitch-hiked home, just so we have SOME critter to oogle over. :)

LOL!! Very nice! Not all hitch hikers are play nice with others!

roka64 said:
LOL!! Very nice! Not all hitch hikers are play nice with others!

I know. :lol: But even if we end up with a mantis shrimp or something, it'll be fun to look at until we get fish. Then we'll catch him and give him to the feesh store.

austinsdad said:
Going reef or fish only. Finished cycling already?

We thought about doing a reef tank, but we'd rather have cool fish than coral. The rock isn't totally done curing (it was at the LFS for about a week), and we're hoping that 50 pounds of LR in the 135 gallon tank is enough to cycle it.

We don't anticipate getting fish until Christmas. Definitely want to take our time.

Au contrair, mon frer (OK, I can't spell in french too well :roll: ). There are REALLY cool reef fish that can go along w/the coral.

Anyway, I'd still suggest getting an ammonia and nitrite test kit. You might be experiencing a cycle now.

Of course, but I really adore butterfly fish, and was kind of told that they're a no-no when it comes to reef stuffs.
Here's the tentative stock list: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=722986&highlight=#722986

I figure we'll go the FOWLR route first and see how we do, then slowly dabble in coral madness.

We got an Instant Ocean brand test kit that tests for pH, nitrite, nitrates, and ammonia. Missing anything?

Should we go ahead and start testing the water, or give it a few days to start cycling?

Are 50 pounds of LR enough to cycle such a big tank?

Thanks so much for the help! :)

50 lbs of LR + 50 lbs of base rock = 100 lbs of LR in a few weeks.

You did not get any live critters in that base rock but you will get the nitrifying bacteria on it that will make it as live as the LR. And you`ll have some critters move over to the base rock. Good Luck.

Check the ammonia.

Are 50 pounds of LR enough to cycle such a big tank?
Maybe not. Depends on how much dead stuff was on it. I'd still take a look at the ammonia over the next 4 days just to see what that amount of rock is doing. If it gets up to 50 or higher (or .5, I forgot), I'd think its cycling.

Just did an ammonia check. Running at about .3, and the rock has been in the tank for about 20 hours.

Will continue checking over the next couple days and see how that goes.

i have a quick question about when you are cycling with only live rocks in the tank. are you supposed to "feed" it with anything such as amonia or do you just leave it alone and let it do its thing? also do you still have to do water changes when its just rocks and no fish?

Back
Top Bottom