Added the salt. need help for whats next? Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EL Diablo

Aquarium Advice Freak
First I'd like to say hello to all the forum members.
Glad I found this site. been glued to it for hours :D

I just bought my first saltwater set up. After many years of FW
I finally have it along with a copy of the Conscientious Marine Aquarist

I plan a fish only/live sand/live rock tank

I have gone as far as I can and now I need some help.

Here is my set up.

72gallon bow tank with wood cabinet
Florescent hood
fluval 404 filter
Remora protein skimmer
Glass Thermometer
Heater

I have Crushed Coral on the bottom

Here is where I am at with the set up.

07/17 I filled the tank with tap water treated with Aqua clear and cycle
Let the filters run

07/18 added salt
07/19 SG reading 1.021
07/20 Took water readings
ammonia: non
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity: 300 plus
PH: well above 8.4
water 425 very Hard
Temp is 78degrees

I am waiting to add 40 LBS of live sand purchased from the LFS.
When is it safe to add?

I am adding 40/50 lbs of live rock when the tank is ready.
if it isn’t already
I also plan on adding a maxi-jet power head

I am not sure what I need to do next.

The PH is high
is the water too hard?

What do I need to do to get to the next step?
When can I add the sand?

Etc. Etc.

I know you guys have heard it all before.

Thanks for all the help! it's very much appreciated.

:D Welcome to AA :D

I would add the sand now, its alot easier than trying to remove the CC and add it later and LR should go in ASAP. It will help cycle the tank. 40/50 lbs is a little light on LR, should be at least 1 lb per gal, most say 1.5 lb per gal.

Good luck I'm sure folks alot smarter than me will respond shortly!!

I agree with Nitrate! Go ahead and put in your LS and LR, it will kick off your cycle. Sounds like your well on your way to a great sw tank.

:smilecolros: WELCOME TO AA! :smilecolros:

Should I remove the CC ? I could scoop it out.

I am going to add the LS tomorrow and the live rock will follow a day or 2 later. should I just wait with the LS and add the LR and LS at the same time?

will the PH level adjust when the tank cycles to a safe level or will I have to add chemicals or other methods to correct it?

I want to do this right and am not in a rush to make a mistake

Thanks for the help

Yes you should remove it CC. If you leave the CC in and put the sand on top of it you will negate the benefits of the DSB. Scooping the CC out will work fine. After you add the sand you are going to have a dust cloud in the tank. Don’t be concerned about it, just go ahead and add the rock. I wouldn’t worry about PH or trites ot trates or ammonia for at least a few days. Ammonia should spike first, then trites, then trites and ammonia should settle to zero and trates should show a trace amount. Throw in a couple of cocktail shrimp in order to kick-start the cycle process.

Be patient and take your time with every step of the process. Practically every problem I've ever had can be tied to rushing somewhere along the line.

Tonight I will remove the CC. That should be fun :?

I am going to order 75Lbs of Live rock from Liverocks.com.
When the LR comes in I will add the LS and LR.

curious to see the critters that come with the LR

Been reading about the possible presence of Mantis shrimp.

here is a pic of my TANK

tank.jpg

Thanks for all the help :D

leaving the CC will not neglect the benefits of a DSB, there are many different ways to set up a DSB that I have read about online. One of such ways is to have different coarsness substrates, this personally is the way I have gone. I would suggest googling DSB and seeing which method you personally want to do. There are buffering benefits to cc, it just seems to be the fad of the forum to do straight sand, but if you look at other forums they usually have their own fads ;).

Nice setup diablo, and thanks for the insight lziarek. I think I'll do a little reading too!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Setting up a new tank when you have never done it before is sort of like
Flying blind. This site has been a big help!

I really don’t want to go through the hassle of removing the CC if I don’t have to.
But I read in the article from the link you gave me that the coral will need to be replaced In a few years. That will be difficult once the sand has been laid on top of it.

I guess I will remove it.

I am ordering the LR today and as soon as I get it I will add the LS, the LR will immediately follow.

I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Back
Top Bottom