Adding a canister filter--recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtglore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm working on a 55 gallon reef with a 15 gallon macroalgae sump. I have a glass tank which was drilled on the back wall. The flow rate allowed for by the drain size, in addition to the circulartion powerheads in the main tank, do not provide enough water turnover (in my opinion). That is, it's at about 9-10 times/hour (but I want more!). So, I was thinking of adding a canister filter, something in the range of about 200 gph. Any recommendations on models and/or manufacturers that won't break the bank? Morover, what kind of filter media should I use in it (if any)? Or, is this just a silly idea all together?

Thanks for your input.

-Michael

I'm not nuts about canister filters in general and even less so in a SW tank, so take this with a grain of salt ;)

IMO, if you want more flow, add another powerhead or upgrade the ones you have to increase the overall flow. Unless there is a need for more filtration than can be provided by your fuge and LR and LS....I wouldn't add another filter.

Back
Top Bottom