Adding a second clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one clown in my tank and I'm adding another. The new clown is much smaller. I was told to put the new one in a small submersible tank and place I'm near my existing clown and wait till they swam side by side. My legs said to just throw him in? Well thought I'd try the throw him in method and they are battling hard right now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a clown in my tank for a few months before I added a smaller one too. They looked like they seriously were trying to kill each other at first, but after a day or two they mellowed out and now they are in love. Give it some time, and as long as one is smaller than the other, all should work out.

Also as they get more comfortable and pair up with each other you'll start to see them swimming right by each other and twitching, it's completely normal, don't flip out like I did! It's actually pretty cool to watch

Yeah they're already beginning to do that.

For future reference the best way to add an aggressive fish in with other aggressive fish is to do it after lights out, to a well fed tank. Get them fat and sleepy so the new one can find a hiding spot

Watch closely I put a smaller clown in my nano and my bigger clown tortured the smaller one relentlessly. I had to bring the smaller one back to the lfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah he won't share the nem but he's getting along now. The bigger clown kicked his *** for like 2 days but I think they are okay now.

Back
Top Bottom