Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Adding additional Live Rock to a cycled tank?

I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a few fish (damsels), a cleaner crew(snails/crabs) and about 50 lbs of LR. I was thinking of adding about 30 more lbs of LR from LR.com. Will that cause the tank to recycle? Will it kill of my invertebrates?

jbem2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
If your tank is already cycled, you should be ok. You might have a small cycle, just make sure you have some aged SW ready in case you need to do a water change to bring down any ammonia spike. Some will say that you should cure it in a secondary container, but from what I have heard about liverocks.com, you should not see much die off from their rock.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
When you get the rock from LR.com, they say specifically not to cure it. It comes straight out of the ocean and doesn't have much dieoff, if any. If I had a spike, it came and went without me noticing, and I checked every other day for a week I think (now it's at least once a week).

hisc1ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
What about the die off during shipping? It is getting colder out.
Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did the same thing in my fifty five tank. Originally I had about 25lbs of LR and I bought an additional 30lbs of live rock for my tank from the LFS after it had already been established for a year. I saw a small spike in my ammonia levels so I did 10% water change every week for four weeks and that kept everything under control.
55 gal mini reef/fish
Fluval canister filtration system
Prizm protien skimmer
Corallife PC lighting
50lbs live fiji rock
saltymarine is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, cycled, led, live, live rock, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com