Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding Ammonia

I'm starting my cycle in my 65g. I've read that adding ammonia helps kickstart the process. Is that true? If so, is this ammonia acceptable?

I got it from walgreen's. It says Ammonium Hydroxide (contains no Phosphorus). That is the only active ingredient listed.

How much should be applied? How often?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1595869580.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	80259  

Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You have to shake it up and see if it bubbles . If it does bubble it's no good . 4 ppm of ammo is the right starting dose.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still throw a raw shrimp in to tank. This will feed your Bactria. The liquid ammonia will cause the spike you need to kick start cycle.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need to add a raw shrimp. That's what the pure ammonia is there for. Dose to 4ppm. A little goes a long way with that stuff. I'd add a teaspoon at a time and see how much you need. If memory serves me right, I think i only needed a 1/3 of a cup for my 125g + 40g sump.

Read this if you haven't already:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah but once that ammonia is converted there is no more ammonia to feed the cycle. He needs to keep dosing pure ammonia every couple of days or give tank something to create ammonia like shrimp. I have always understood once ammonia drops to 0 ppm in less than 24 hours then you can stop dosing tank. Maybe I'm wrong about this. I didn't read that link that Rick put up. I will tho
Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep dosing ammonia to 4ppm until you have no ammonia and no nitrites then do a large water change and you will be cycled. Read the link aquarick posted its helpful.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
You don't need to add a raw shrimp. That's what the pure ammonia is there for. Dose to 4ppm. A little goes a long way with that stuff. I'd add a teaspoon at a time and see how much you need. If memory serves me right, I think i only needed a 1/3 of a cup for my 125g + 40g sump.

Read this if you haven't already:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Agree totally with this except for the amount. I put one small capfule in my 45 and it was way to much. Start with just a few drops and then test to see how close that got you to 4 ppm.

Each time the ammonia drops, dose it back up to 4 ppm. Keep doing this until you see nitrites start to rise. Continue dosing to 4 ppm until you see that all the ammonia and all the nitrite are converted to nitrate within a 24 hour period. When you can dose up to 4 ppm and then have no ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later you can start to do water changes to reduce the nitrates. Once the nitrates are below 10-20 (but as close to 0 as you can get) you can start slowly adding livestock.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it's ~ 2.5 ML per 10 gallons to get you to 4ppm. thats abotu as close as I can get "scientifically"
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

UPDATE:

I found some pure ammonia at Ace Hardware last weekend. I dosed the tank to 4ppm. A few days ago my numbers were :

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: >5ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm

Then last night my ammonia had dropped to 1ppm, but all the other numbers remained the same. So, I dosed it back up to nearly 4ppm.

NOW this morning my numbers are:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: >5ppm
Nitrate: 40-60ppm.

Its weird, because my ammonia dropped overnight, but my nitrIte has remained off the chart this entire time. AND how would my nitrAtes drop without even doing a water change?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live sand?

NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com