Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 10:43 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhamik
Bob Fenner said on his site that most anemones die due to overfeeding
I don't mean to harp, but you should really take that to heart. Many anemones become over stressed from too much feeding. I think it's great that you are not having this problem but I would urge caution in advising others to feed their anemones in the same fashion.

Anemones go through alot of stress when fed too much as they must use much of their stored energies to digest and then expell the wastes that solid foods often induce. It can sometimes be the "straw" that throws them over the edge.

When feeding a tank for fish, the secondary feedings can often be all that is needed. In lightly stocked tanks, intervention on the reefkeepers part may be necessary but feedings should be light, infrequent and very small portion sizes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
i don't continuiously feed the anemone.. it is just once in a while when it doesn't look "normal" is when i feed it.. i mean, the first week i brought it home, it was moving around searching for something.. it wasn't searching for light because it wasn't moving towards any light all.. after i fed it a piece it stayed at the spot and haven't moved since..

Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree a newly setup tank should not house an anenome, you should give it at least a year in mop. I have a Pacific anenome which I feed twice a week with shrimp. I agree with most die very shortly after being placed in the tank, but I believe most are from new tanks and people not sure how to raise them. I have mine in a 30 long under PC lighting 65 watt smart light. Also tkos hear is a picture of mine 3 years + and going strong.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
oooo.. nice picture...
Old 07-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

EMS503, I noticed in your picture you're using a "PowerHead" PH but i couldn't quite make out what you're using for an intake diffuser. I've had probs with fish getting cought in my "PowerHead" intakes and jerry-rigged a solution (i'll upload a pic someday) but was curious what you're using as i'm not totaly satisfied with mine.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing on the infuser never had a problem with fish, an occasional snail yes but no fish. Hagan has slots on the bottom of there PH stops fish from being sucked in

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, anemones

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com