Adding baserock to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess all I need in the container with the rock is a powerhead (no heater/filter etc.)?

And, for the waterchanges, would it be ok to replace the water with used SW from my main tank (ie. after a waterchange in my main tank), as opposed to new SW?

MarkW19 said:
I guess all I need in the container with the rock is a powerhead (no heater/filter etc.)?
(y)

If you've already had it running with the carbon for a bit, most impurities should be removed for the most part. Water changes and scrubing would have also taken care of it to some degree.

And, for the waterchanges, would it be ok to replace the water with used SW from my main tank (ie. after a waterchange in my main tank), as opposed to new SW?
I would use freshly mixed. It would eliminate the DOC from the main display as being a possible contributor to your ammonia readings however small the chance.
If after a few water changes with freshly mixed and no ammonia, you know the cause. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I've not had it running with any carbon.

I can't really do a new waterchange for the rock - so, it's either sticking it out until ammonia is finally at 0 (which I guess could take weeks) or changing 25% of the water each week using used SW from the main. Which would you do?

Waiting is a shame though, because I was hoping for the rock to have been seeding with bacteria for a few weeks in my main tank before I put my corals in! :)

MarkW19 said:
I can't really do a new waterchange for the rock - so, it's either sticking it out until ammonia is finally at 0 (which I guess could take weeks) or changing 25% of the water each week using used SW from the main. Which would you do?
Of the two choices I would just let it sit until the ammonia was zero.

Waiting is a shame though, because I was hoping for the rock to have been seeding with bacteria for a few weeks in my main tank before I put my corals in! :)
It won't make any difference to your corals.

Cheers
Steve

Is it likely to take as long as a tank cycling, ie 4 - 6 weeks?

Couldn't tell you to be honest. I have no idea where the source of the ammonia is being caused from. Could go either way.

Cheers
Steve

Okie - so anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, I guess...

Is it possible there could be some dead organic material or whatever (or other contaminate) hidden deep in the rock, that could be released at a future date, even if ammonia is 0 in a few days or whatever? ;)

I can see some black fluff in some of the crevices, as well as lots of strange red/yellow patches etc. on the rock surface.

MarkW19 said:
Is it possible there could be some dead organic material or whatever (or other contaminate) hidden deep in the rock, that could be released at a future date, even if ammonia is 0 in a few days or whatever?
Anything is possible. You will just have to give it a "best guess" once you get a zero reading on the ammonia. The likelyhood of it being a problem down the road is quite minimal and IMO, not worth worrying about.

Cheers
Steve

Its just the black fluff and strange coloured patches on it that are worrying me a bit :p

Seeing as we don't know where the ammonia has come from!

And, I guess if after 4 days in the new container with just the powerhead (with new SW as opposed to old tank SW as used before) if I get 0 ammonia, we'll assume the rock is ok and that it was the "old" water that caused the ammonia before?

Right...I've just put the baserock in the tank (2nd qt) again...powerhead going.

As it's in the garage, I've covered the tank with kitchen foil, which is actually touching the surface of the water quite a bit (I dont suppose this matters). It's not totally airtight though of course.

And, I don't suppose the ph/sg are important in it?

The water chem specs don't matter much but I wouldn't leave the aluminum foil. It will oxidize and leach into the water. Aluminum oxide is not healthy for marine animals.

Cheers
Steve

Hmm, it's now 2am, and the alu foil will have been in for about 14 hours (touching the water) before I'll have chance to take it out and put something else over it...

Will that be ok?

Doesn't sound like there's much choice in the matter. I would suggest you change the water when you replace the "lid".

Cheers
Steve

After the rocks are ok, I'm not going to put them straight in my main - they'll be left to dry for a few days in the open air, then rinsed in used SW before being put in...will this not remove the aluminium oxide anyway?

I would change 100% of the water and let them sit there a few days first. It will "dilute" the problem if there. Then you could do as you suggest.

Cheers
Steve

Hmm...is there any way I can test for the aluminium oxide in the water?

I guess I'll just start again in the container then...give everything a good rinse...

I'll change 100% of the water and start again - the foil was touching a bit of the water surface for approx 12 hours - after I've changed the water, let it sit for at least 4 days (probably more), let it dry out and then rinsed it in used SW before adding it to my main tank, do you think there'll still be a problem there (even if there was in the first place)?

Back
Top Bottom