Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #61
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I'll change 100% of the water and start again - the foil was touching a bit of the water surface for approx 12 hours - after I've changed the water, let it sit for at least 4 days (probably more), let it dry out and then rinsed it in used SW before adding it to my main tank
Just change the water a few times to be safe. Letting them dry out won't benefit anything.

Quote:
do you think there'll still be a problem there (even if there was in the first place)?
May never have been a problem in the first place but it's always best to err on the side of caution. I don't think it will be an issue in the long run though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll actually have to take the rocks out of my container anyway because it's the only container big enough the re-mix the water for the water change :P

I'm intending changing 100% of the water (basically starting again with it - the rocks will be out of the water for a couple of days between changes) every week for the next 4 weeks - that ok?

Old 11-13-2004, 07:13 PM   #63
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I'll actually have to take the rocks out of my container anyway because it's the only container big enough the re-mix the water for the water change :P
Buy another mixing container

Quote:
I'm intending changing 100% of the water (basically starting again with it - the rocks will be out of the water for a couple of days between changes) every week for the next 4 weeks - that ok?
Personally I think your overdoing it. Catious is one thing but I think your going farther tha you need to. In the beginning at least the main reason for doing this was to help eliminate contaminates. Then the ammonia was detected but once the ammonia reading is gone, there's no reason to do this any longer. A couple of good water changes and you should be good to go. There's no point in prolonging it for 4 weeks.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just saying I'd do the 4 100% waterchanges to get rid of the aluminium oxide, if present :P

How many 100%'s would you recommend doing then?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #65
steve-s

2 at most. If after that and say a weeks time passes with no more ammonia, it's ready.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
base, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com