Adding baserock to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just got 17kg extra dry baserock to add to my tank, which I bought out of a basket at my LFS.

I plan to rinse this in used SW then put it straight in my tank.

Will it be ok? The rock smells ok (it smells like rock ;) but sort of has different grey/red patches on it (pics below) but leaves a sort of white chalky powder on your hands when it's been handled.

Do you think just the SW rinse will be ok before I put it in? I'm just concerned about handling contaminents etc., seeing as I don't really know where it's been before it got to my LFS.

If you currently have livestock in your tank, I would probably cure it to be on the safe side. At the very least, I would let it soak in a bucket of saltwater for a while with a PH for aeration to make sure it is clean. You never know where this rock came from.

Mike

You really should have to cure it in the traditional sense. However, I would first scrub it a little, with an old toothbrush or a vegetable brush, to make sure you don't have any dead organic material on it. Follow that by putting it in a bucket of saltwater and a powerhead/airstone. Wait a few days, then test for ammonia.
If it shows 0ppm, you're probably cool.

Cool - I'll put it in the plastic tank I use for my waterchanges for 4 days.

I'll use a heater as well.

After it's done, after a quick rinse (as usual) of my waterchange tank and the powerhead/heater, I guess the tank will be ok for maintank waterchanges as usual? I dont want the rock to contaminate the equipment I use for my waterchanges :p

I usually rinse the equipment with tapwater then dry.

Should I be putting used SW or newly mixed (after 24 hours) SW in my "curing" container?

You could use either one. The closer in levels to the main tank ie. SG, temp, pH, etc..the better. It will be aerated already as well. Just plug in a PH and let it sit. :)

Mike

I'll use used SW then after my next change :)

The tank and equipment (I use for waterchange water) will def be ok to use for waterchanges again after the rock's been in, even if I get a reading of ammonia, after a good FW rinse/wipe?

After the rock has been in for 4 days with no ammonia, should I put it straight in my main tank? Or do another SW rinse with some newer SW?

And, will the "dip" get rid of all contaminents that could've been on the rock so it'll be totally safe?

Did you test the levels to see where they are? I would rinse them off again to make sure the dust and debris is off so it won't cloud your tank as well.

Mike

It hasn't gone in my container yet :p

I'm putting it in in an hour or so. Was just wondering about:

The tank and equipment (I use for waterchange water) will def be ok to use for waterchanges again after the rock's been in, even if I get a reading of ammonia, after a good FW rinse/wipe?

and

And, will the "dip" get rid of all contaminents that could've been on the rock so it'll be totally safe?

:)

As long as the equipment is rinsed and dried real good you shouldn't have a problem with re-using it again. As far as the elements on the base rock itself, you should be able to get those off as well. Sometimes with base rock it is hard to tell where they actually got it, so that is why we treat it like live rock in the curing process. Good luck.

Mike

Cool - I'll rinse it with tapwater as I usually do and let it air dry.

Right, the rocks are in the container. They only just fit ;)

Used an aquarium brush on the rock to get off all I could, but one of the rocks has some sort of grey fluff stuck inside a few of the holes that I can't get out, and another one also has some stuff rattling inside it when I shake it.

But basically, if I don't see any ammonia in 4 days, there's nothing at all to be concerned about?

When I rinsed my base rock, a lot of crud came off of it.. but when I put it in the tank with water on it LOTS more came out... I suggest filling a bucket, dunking the rock by hand and shaking it underwater... should be more effective than what I did.

Did you have any life in your tank when you put it in?

I'm having to turn the powerhead off for 10 hours during the night (don't ask :p), so the 4 days I was intending doing with the rock in the container, won't be 4 full days.

Does the powerhead have to be on all the time? Or is just 14 hours each day (over 4 days) enough? Then I'll check for ammonia after the 4th day.

My rock has been in for 4 days now, but the powerhead has been turned off overnight (10 hours) each of the 4 days.

What should I do? If I test for ammonia and it's 0, am I good to go? Or does the fact the powerhead hasn't been on all the time change anything?

Back
Top Bottom