Adding clownfish to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztkirkpatric

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a percula clow that is almost 3 inches long... Would it be possible to add another without someone getting killed?

As long as they are a very small clown yes, if you have 1 clown it will be female so need your next clown to be male or not sexed yet so buy very young very small one

Will they eventually pair up? I just don't want the big one to kill the juvenile.

As long as not both females yes they should cant see any problems bar putting two females in tank together

I had a small occ clown (around 1.5") and added a larger black occ clown (around 2.5") a few months later. They were fine and haven't ever fought. They aren't paired but I'm thinking it will just take time, I would just say to make sure one is very small and has hiding places.

As stated be sure the new guy is at least half the size. If you can remove the larger one and make a few caves that she cant get into but the new one can give him a week to get settled, then add the large one to the tank, keep a close eye on them when feeding as that when she's likely to attack.

Right now I've got

Clown
Yellow tang
Coral beauty
Engineer goby
Mandarin

it will take time for them to get used to each other , they most likely will chase each other around and nip at each other for a while but yes they should pair up but ,
yes there is a but , their is no guarantee they will mate,
be sure they are of the same breed
if there is a territorial coral or nem in the tank temporarily remove it till the 2 clowns get used to one another
doing this will reduce fighting and lets them make a bond faster

Back
Top Bottom