Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I would probably get sand here:
http://reefrocks.net/index.php?optio...id=1&Itemid=56

$15 for 40 lbs of aragonite sand. Also includes free shipping. I have yet to order from them (but definitely will in my next build). Others have had good experience from them. It's also a steal at that price. Also, i think they wash and screen their sand for you. It should be good to go once you get it....though i would probably test it first to see if it is washed before adding to your tank.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok all thats true but i have a 5" deep crushed coral bed. As long as i stick with 25% / total gallons water change per week with vacuuming i think it pretty. In the ocean the bed is constantly being vacuumed by current. Good flow, good vacuuming and good water changes will equal success.

I have a 30 gallon bow front.

Wish it was 3,000 gallons so i could get inside

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My two cents: the crushed coral traps debris and detritus that causes nitrate to develop making it more difficult to maintain low levels.

While a DSB does provide you with some nitrate control, if disturbed down the line it can release toxins and crash the tank.

If you do a DSB it's best to do it in a sump so you can close off the system.

My recommendation is to do a 1-1.5 sand bed of fine aragonite like 1-2mm. That way you have a natural look and it will accommodate fish like gobies that sift sand if you want that. You can add some CC on top for the look if you like.

Face it, we'll eventually get lax in out maintenance and cleaning a CC bed will become the bane o your existence. I setup my system to reduce maintenance and use a shallow sand bed with sand sifters to keep it clean. Works for me, not for all.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would never use crushed coral in a salt tank. Why would you want the added work of vacuuming the sand bed all the time? You are also vacuuming out a lot of beneficial critters each time you do.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In the live sand that I have in my 36 gal, there was bits of crushed coral and shells in it. It didn't take much time at all for it to make its way to the top and start gathering up garbage around them. I can't wait to switch over to my 55 where there is no CC or shells.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm convinced that cc is not the way to go. What kind of sand should I go with? I dont want clouds of sand everytime something moves, but I would like to gave a gobey at some point. I have had the tank together for almost 2 weeks and I would like to get something in it soon.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf
I'm convinced that cc is not the way to go. What kind of sand should I go with? I dont want clouds of sand everytime something moves, but I would like to gave a gobey at some point. I have had the tank together for almost 2 weeks and I would like to get something in it soon.
I just removed my aragonite for that exact reason and went with PFS it was super clean from the start, I did rinse it really well but the water was barely dirty. After I added it to the tank my water was a little cloudy for about four hours but after that crystal clear. The grain size is large enough you can move the sand around without clouding the water. It is also really cheap, I paid $10 for 50#.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I add pfs do I have to watch any levels. Should it be added alittle at a time. Is the best way to clean it just stick hose in with it and stir it up every now and then till water is clear ?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf
When I add pfs do I have to watch any levels. Should it be added alittle at a time. Is the best way to clean it just stick hose in with it and stir it up every now and then till water is clear ?
I'm not sure on watching levels from what I heard you should not have any issues with a spike unless you are using it to replace an already established sand bed. The best way I know of to clean it would be put it in a bucket or tub of some sort....add RO water and stir it around the best you can and drain off water and repeat until water is clear. The PFS I bought was really clean and the water I drained of did not have much dirt or filth of any kind.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Horray.

Now i want sand.

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com