Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Adding crushed coral.

Hi all,

I am looking to add crushed coral or live sand to my 75g fowlr tank. The taNk currently has nothing.Is there any prep work for this. Should I expect any changes with my levels. Will this be an easy going task?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120228_133441.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	79640
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120228_133412.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	79639  

Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think adding playground sand is better not live. Live sand has ph buffers and can send a shock to your tank if you put it in quickly I think

Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live sand is fine to add. Aragonite sand doesn't dissolve unless your pH is very low at which point your livestock and corals will already be dead.

I would caution against crushed coral. Without proper cleaning it can be a pretty bad nitrate factory.

I'd go with a sand bed personally. LS, PFS will work just fine either way. Will you be going for a DSB if sand is the route you choose?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Live sand is fine to add. Aragonite sand doesn't dissolve unless your pH is very low at which point your livestock and corals will already be dead.

I would caution against crushed coral. Without proper cleaning it can be a pretty bad nitrate factory.

I'd go with a sand bed personally. LS, PFS will work just fine either way. Will you be going for a DSB if sand is the route you choose?
Sorry but I am very new to this and not sure what LS (live sand) maybe PFS or DSB mean.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf

Sorry but I am very new to this and not sure what LS (live sand) maybe PFS or DSB mean.
Oh no problem!
PFS = pool filter sand
DSB = deep sand bed

The benefits of a DSB (5-7 inches of sand) include providing an anaerobic environment for certain bacteria to survive and turn nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas. Some folks like it, some don't like it. It's up to you.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

Oh no problem!
PFS = pool filter sand
DSB = deep sand bed

The benefits of a DSB (5-7 inches of sand) include providing an anaerobic environment for certain bacteria to survive and turn nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas. Some folks like it, some don't like it. It's up to you.
Ok thanks I have not given any thought about a DSB. I seen the crushed coral at my LFS and really liked the look alot better than sand. Is there a CUC that will work with the coral that will prevent the high levels of nitrAte. This being my first SW tank I would want something that will not cause problems in the long run.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't do crushed coral either for the same reasons stated above. Had that years ago and my nitrates were crazy.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm why not put a sand bed and then sprinkle some coral on top for a nice look. Pistol shrimps love it I was actually thinking about this too. plus keeping up with your PWC is nessecsry anyways
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will PFS work fine? What precautions should I take if I use it? What is proper way to clean it before adding it to my tank? Any other sand opinions would be great.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

PFS will work just fine. I would wash that sand thoroughly before adding it to the tank. You can put the sand in a large plastic container, and put your hose down near the bottom. It will help to stir the sand as you go; but if you're ok with wasting a lot of water, just wait until the water coming out of the container is pretty clear.

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com