Adding crushed coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I am looking to add crushed coral or live sand to my 75g fowlr tank. The taNk currently has nothing.Is there any prep work for this. Should I expect any changes with my levels. Will this be an easy going task?

ForumRunner_20120228_133441.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120228_133412.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120228_133412.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 189
I think adding playground sand is better not live. Live sand has ph buffers and can send a shock to your tank if you put it in quickly I think

Live sand is fine to add. Aragonite sand doesn't dissolve unless your pH is very low at which point your livestock and corals will already be dead.

I would caution against crushed coral. Without proper cleaning it can be a pretty bad nitrate factory.

I'd go with a sand bed personally. LS, PFS will work just fine either way. Will you be going for a DSB if sand is the route you choose?

AquaRick said:
Live sand is fine to add. Aragonite sand doesn't dissolve unless your pH is very low at which point your livestock and corals will already be dead.

I would caution against crushed coral. Without proper cleaning it can be a pretty bad nitrate factory.

I'd go with a sand bed personally. LS, PFS will work just fine either way. Will you be going for a DSB if sand is the route you choose?

Sorry but I am very new to this and not sure what LS (live sand) maybe PFS or DSB mean.

joshpwolf said:
Sorry but I am very new to this and not sure what LS (live sand) maybe PFS or DSB mean.

Oh no problem!
PFS = pool filter sand
DSB = deep sand bed

The benefits of a DSB (5-7 inches of sand) include providing an anaerobic environment for certain bacteria to survive and turn nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas. Some folks like it, some don't like it. It's up to you.

AquaRick said:
Oh no problem!
PFS = pool filter sand
DSB = deep sand bed

The benefits of a DSB (5-7 inches of sand) include providing an anaerobic environment for certain bacteria to survive and turn nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas. Some folks like it, some don't like it. It's up to you.

Ok thanks I have not given any thought about a DSB. I seen the crushed coral at my LFS and really liked the look alot better than sand. Is there a CUC that will work with the coral that will prevent the high levels of nitrAte. This being my first SW tank I would want something that will not cause problems in the long run.

I wouldn't do crushed coral either for the same reasons stated above. Had that years ago and my nitrates were crazy.

Hmm why not put a sand bed and then sprinkle some coral on top for a nice look. Pistol shrimps love it :) I was actually thinking about this too. plus keeping up with your PWC is nessecsry anyways

Will PFS work fine? What precautions should I take if I use it? What is proper way to clean it before adding it to my tank? Any other sand opinions would be great.

PFS will work just fine. I would wash that sand thoroughly before adding it to the tank. You can put the sand in a large plastic container, and put your hose down near the bottom. It will help to stir the sand as you go; but if you're ok with wasting a lot of water, just wait until the water coming out of the container is pretty clear.

Personally, I would probably get sand here:
http://reefrocks.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=56

$15 for 40 lbs of aragonite sand. Also includes free shipping. I have yet to order from them (but definitely will in my next build). Others have had good experience from them. It's also a steal at that price. Also, i think they wash and screen their sand for you. It should be good to go once you get it....though i would probably test it first to see if it is washed before adding to your tank.

Ok all thats true but i have a 5" deep crushed coral bed. As long as i stick with 25% / total gallons water change per week with vacuuming i think it pretty. In the ocean the bed is constantly being vacuumed by current. Good flow, good vacuuming and good water changes will equal success.

I have a 30 gallon bow front.

Wish it was 3,000 gallons so i could get inside:)

My two cents: the crushed coral traps debris and detritus that causes nitrate to develop making it more difficult to maintain low levels.

While a DSB does provide you with some nitrate control, if disturbed down the line it can release toxins and crash the tank.

If you do a DSB it's best to do it in a sump so you can close off the system.

My recommendation is to do a 1-1.5 sand bed of fine aragonite like 1-2mm. That way you have a natural look and it will accommodate fish like gobies that sift sand if you want that. You can add some CC on top for the look if you like.

Face it, we'll eventually get lax in out maintenance and cleaning a CC bed will become the bane o your existence. I setup my system to reduce maintenance and use a shallow sand bed with sand sifters to keep it clean. Works for me, not for all.

I would never use crushed coral in a salt tank. Why would you want the added work of vacuuming the sand bed all the time? You are also vacuuming out a lot of beneficial critters each time you do.

In the live sand that I have in my 36 gal, there was bits of crushed coral and shells in it. It didn't take much time at all for it to make its way to the top and start gathering up garbage around them. I can't wait to switch over to my 55 where there is no CC or shells.

I'm convinced that cc is not the way to go. What kind of sand should I go with? I dont want clouds of sand everytime something moves, but I would like to gave a gobey at some point. I have had the tank together for almost 2 weeks and I would like to get something in it soon.

joshpwolf said:
I'm convinced that cc is not the way to go. What kind of sand should I go with? I dont want clouds of sand everytime something moves, but I would like to gave a gobey at some point. I have had the tank together for almost 2 weeks and I would like to get something in it soon.

I just removed my aragonite for that exact reason and went with PFS it was super clean from the start, I did rinse it really well but the water was barely dirty. After I added it to the tank my water was a little cloudy for about four hours but after that crystal clear. The grain size is large enough you can move the sand around without clouding the water. It is also really cheap, I paid $10 for 50#.

When I add pfs do I have to watch any levels. Should it be added alittle at a time. Is the best way to clean it just stick hose in with it and stir it up every now and then till water is clear ?

joshpwolf said:
When I add pfs do I have to watch any levels. Should it be added alittle at a time. Is the best way to clean it just stick hose in with it and stir it up every now and then till water is clear ?

I'm not sure on watching levels from what I heard you should not have any issues with a spike unless you are using it to replace an already established sand bed. The best way I know of to clean it would be put it in a bucket or tub of some sort....add RO water and stir it around the best you can and drain off water and repeat until water is clear. The PFS I bought was really clean and the water I drained of did not have much dirt or filth of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom