Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylias View Post
You will also find by waiting you will appreciate the tank more. If you build a tank in a matter of a few weeks and its completely stocked in a half a year you will find that it gets boring because really there's only maintenance to be done at that point. But if you slowly add your livestock and corals the tank will change at a slower rate which will make it more enjoyable to watch. I know you said you wont be getting corals, but that will add some color and depending on type of coral... movement in the tank. Torch corals, hammer corals, and others can sway in the current. Only thing is I wouldn't add any of those corals for a bit longer. You could add a coral frag like a zoanthid, ricordea or mushroom and be fine though. Those are all hardy choices.
I am actually been trying to figure out ways to add more color to the tank. I thought I had to wait nearly a year until adding something like coral? I'd have to admit I haven't looked into it because I spend enough learning more and more just about fish only tanks, but if my tank could handle a frag now that would be nice. Are frags basically small coral? I'd imagine I'd have up upgrade to lighting to one of those Coralife T5 lamps right? I currently just have the Marineland DoubleBright LED's, which look amazing compared to a regular bulb I'd like to add.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

all you really need are the right water perameters 400-500ppm calcium and no PO3 and low nitrates, the light is the key though, figure out what you want to put and then decide which lighting you need.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I cant chime into what your lights can handle as I only run a 29g bio cube with stock lights. No metal halides or anything fancy. I have previously kept torch corals, hammer corals, plate corals, different zoas, star polyps, kenya tree's, etc in this tank with no problems. To answer your question.. frags are pieces of coral cut off a colony and glued on a plug. You would then take your tank glue or epoxy and stick the plug on the rock. The glue I use cures under water and very fast at that.

You could get away with a zoanthid, mushroom or ricordea, kenya tree or anthelia coral at this point without much expense. I would take the water in for testing to make sure your parameters are good and if you need to you can dose for calcium. There are other minerals like magnesium and strontium that you can add but they aren't as necessary unless you have SPS or LPS.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

What's SPS and LPS ???
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here ya go!

SPS: small polyped scleractinian... montipora, or acropora corals are some species of SPS.

LPS: large polyped scleractinian.. These would be hammer corals, torch corals, frogspawns, bubble corals, etc. Brain corals are also in this category.

Both corals are hard corals because they have a stony skeleton in which the polyps sit. Dosing calcium is most important for these corals. Also there are some families with both LPS and SPS species.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think you can keep a lot of lps and sps without any dosing if you are doing regular water changes. once the colonies get mature you might need to start with the calcium, alk, mag dosing, but while they are small frags, good water parameters and lighting is plenty.

i don't think your double bright unit will sustain photosynthetic creatures however. even with their top unit that is supposed to be able to light a 4' tank, it only puts out 1200 lumens. that's not going to be enough.
a 4 lamp t-5 HO fixture will be enough for a wide range of corals in a 40b.
something like this-
36" Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5HO Aquarium Hood - eBay (item 350440517104 end time Mar-18-11 12:46:27 PDT)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I figured I needed something more. Thanks for the link Doug.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i think you can keep a lot of lps and sps without any dosing if you are doing regular water changes. once the colonies get mature you might need to start with the calcium, alk, mag dosing, but while they are small frags, good water parameters and lighting is plenty.

i don't think your double bright unit will sustain photosynthetic creatures however. even with their top unit that is supposed to be able to light a 4' tank, it only puts out 1200 lumens. that's not going to be enough.
a 4 lamp t-5 HO fixture will be enough for a wide range of corals in a 40b.
something like this-
36" Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5HO Aquarium Hood - eBay (item 350440517104 end time Mar-18-11 12:46:27 PDT)
Iv got 50 g bowfront (wish it was a regular long tank) with two 175w metal hilide lights? Or I think called pandants? Is this sufficient?!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it sounds like it should work for you jason.

Tags
angel, dwarf, dwarf angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com