Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibb72

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will be putting fish in for the 1st time into my 55 gal, was looking for some suggestions to start with since this is my 1st saltwater tank. How many can I have in a 55 gal? Thanks

Hey there have you got any algae eaters in there already?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be putting fish in for the 1st time into my 55 gal, was looking for some suggestions to start with since this is my 1st saltwater tank. How many can I have in a 55 gal? Thanks

Depends on the filtration, if it's FOWLR or a reef tank. What are you wanting to stock it with? There are thousands of combinations so it's hard to say how many you can have without knowing the size and behavior of the fish. For acclimating, I suggest drip acclimation in a bucket or Styrofoam container if you can find one.

...and make sure your tank is cycled properly. A common mistake is to just add saltwater and throw fish in, Then we will see a post about how those fish mysteriously died.

Sites like liveaquaria.com and blue zoo.com have lots of information on saltwater fish, suggested tank sizes and compatibility. I suggest figuring out what you like and come back here with a list for feedback. You'll get good advice on how many and even the order they should be added.

Back
Top Bottom