Adding fish and coral to my tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started my 75 gallon reef tank 2 weeks ago. Cycled in less then a week and I added a yellow tang 2 days ago. I obviously want to add coral too. How long in between should I wait to add things? And also what are some cool fish and coral ideas?

That's a pretty quick cycle. Usually wait a week or two on the fish to make sure your bioload can keep up. On corals you do not need to wait as they have little to none effect on the bioload. I'm thinking a pink spotted goby will be nice.

It actually cycled in 3 days and so I gave it another week and a half to make sure it wasn't playing tricks on me

Eventually your yellow tang's will need a larger system as they require 100 gallon minimum tank. I recommend keeping them and enjoying them for a year or two until they get 3 or 4 inches. At that size trade them in on something else if you can at your local fish store. I would start with some mushrooms and other small soft corals in about 2 or 3 months. Anemonies and other hard corals after a year. Depending on your lighting. Good luck!

Eventually your yellow tang's will need a larger system as they require 100 gallon minimum tank. I recommend keeping them and enjoying them for a year or two until they get 3 or 4 inches. At that size trade them in on something else if you can at your local fish store. I would start with some mushrooms and other small soft corals in about 2 or 3 months. Anemonies and other hard corals after a year. Depending on your lighting. Good luck!

Zoas and mushrooms will do fine now. What type of lights do you have? Lps should do fine as well as long as the tanks cycled. I wouldn't do sps for a while though. However, this all depends on your lighting

Back
Top Bottom