Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
IMO, drilling the 10 would be the best route to take. I wouldn't use anything much larger than a Maxi Jet 1200 to supply the water to it...a 10g tank doesn't offer much space and you don't want Niagra Falls in there. In this case, as fishfreek said, you'll need to position the fuge a little higher than the sump.

Using a pump to send water to the fuge and another to pump water out of the fuge is not an option because you'll never be able to perfectly balance the flow from the pumps...one will eventually outrun the other one.

Should you decide to go the siphon route, I think you'll have to have an internal overflow box in the fuge and another box in the sump. Just having a siphon presents much the same problem as the two pumps...trying to balance the pump output with what the siphon is draining. You'd also have to run the water level pretty high in the sump to prevent the siphon from breaking. Having the box in the sump insures that there is a constant water level for the siphon tube and will lower the chances of breaking the siphon.

If you put a DSB in the fuge, I would keep it about 4". As was mentioned above, a 6" sand bed won't leave you much room for water. I would also run the skimmer in the sump if at all possible. I think you may lose some of the critters you are trying to culture by having the skimmer running in the fuge. You could sit the skimmer beside the sump with the PH in the sump...sort of run it external...if you have room for that. You might have to extend the hose from the PH to the skimmer to do that though.

IMO, drill the fuge for at least a 1" drain and use a Maxi Jet 900/1200 to supply the water to it. I think that will give you the best results with the least danger of a spill.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #12
Thx Logan,

I believe that I am going to go that route.. The skimmer I heard back from an email to Aqua C which gave me some ideas to mount it into the sump.. It is now located in the sump... Now all I have to do is wait until tomorrow when I can go out and get the largest possible aquarium to fit under this stand..

I HATE this stupid stand.. When I move this thing is going to be Gone... as you can see from my posting I have 2 seperate sides which both have a space roughly 23"w 14"d 14"h each.. Not enough room at all for anything.. I should be able to figure this out now pretty easily..

Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Well I went and got the Tank and ordered a few pumps.. Dr fostersmith.com had Via aqua pumps on sale.. I picked up a 152gph and a 200ghp they were less than $8.00ea... I added a 4" DSB to the refugium and using the regular NO lighting.. The sand I chose to use " only one Avail" was quickretes playsand... I am going to get my Kalk in about 10 days and hopefully get this all together..

Since there is no heater in there as well as no water movement I should not add a few cup fulls of sand from the main tank to seed the yet correct??? or would this be ok...

Also what would be some good stuff that I should put in the refugium.. Should I pull a piece of LR out of the main tank and Throw it in the Refugium as well or just do sand and algeas and such..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com