Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2003, 04:46 AM   #1
cj10488

Adding in a Refugium HELP

Ok I was thinking about adding a 10gal refuge to my system and placing my Aqua C remora in it under the tank.. The reason being 10gal Is thats all that i believe will fit under the stand.. I want to have a 5-6" DSB in the refuge and add LS form my display tank to seed the refuge.. I was wondering what would be the best way to pipe in the refuge.. My current system is a 55gal tank with a Cpr Cs90 overflow that drains down into a Wet/Dry without media and then the Rio 2100 pumps the water back into the tank.. For lighting on the refuge I was going to run it opposite hours of my tank to help any ph changes at night.. What I was thinking is setting up a pump that will pump water into the refuge at one side and then another pump in the refuge to pump the water back to the tank.. I would probably use the current rio 2100 in the refuge to pump back to main display tank.. and using something alot smaller to pump from the wet/dry into the refuge.. Please help as I am new to this.. Btw I was planning on using Marinelands NO florescent tube that was the original that came with my 55gal.. I believe its 15watt or so.. will this be enough or should i look for something else like a 55watt 10pc light???

TIA,
James
Old 10-12-2003, 04:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
While I am no expert I have done extensive research in the fuge field. With macro algea in the fuge it is recommeded to run your lighting 24/7 in the fuge. Also check out he lighting that comes with other fuges. Like eco-systems; it seems as though our lighting will be fine as long as you aren't housing anything else in there with other lighting needs. As far as plumbing goes I am an uber-idiot still looking for the right answers myself. HTH in at least some way.

R-

Old 10-13-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
cj10488

<BUMP>
Old 10-13-2003, 11:47 PM   #4
cj10488

Wondering If this post got lost in the Mass postings lately..

James
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
For fuges with macro algae I would light it on a reverse light cycle form your tank. So when your tanks lights are on your fuge is off and when your tank lights are off your fuge is on. The purpose of this is to help stabilize the PH swings that natually occur at night and day due to changing levels of oxygen and carbon dixoide.

In the book Reef Inverterbrates its suggested that refugiums should be approx 20% the capacity of the main tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
cj10488

I understand that but what I am needing help with is how to plumb it into my system.. I am not understanding an easy way of how to do this...

TIA,
James
Old 10-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Think of your fuge as a mini tank connected to your wet/dry. Thats about the easiest route to plumb it. If you have the 10gal fuge drilled then position it so its higher than the wet/dry in the stand and plumb your drain line from the fuge to your wetdry and then put a small pump in the wet/dry to supply the fuge.

Having a rio2100 in a 10 gal fuge is IMO just asking to have macroalge sucked up into the impeller and cause problems. ALso having water flow so fast thru the fuge is not giving the marco algae a chance to process the items in the water.

have the hole drilled maybe an inch or so from the top of the 10 gal.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
cj10488

ok i think IO should be able to figure it out.. I hope.. If not I will just mess around with it until I do lol...

anyways Thanks Again,
James
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

6" dsb in a 10 gallon isn't going to give you much room for water ... 10 gallon is what, 12 inches tall?

if you're not interested in having your refuge tank drilled (which is *strongly* recommended), you can setup a siphon return as well.

you need to have the refuge and the sump level with each other, and you connect them using some 1"+ pvc pipe, assembled in a U shape. then you pump water from your sump into your refuge and the siphon will be there to drain it back out.

hope this helps
Old 10-14-2003, 03:42 PM   #10
cj10488

Yeah I believe you are right about it only being 12" high.. I think i will do a 3-4" DSB... I think that I will drill the tank.. The only thing is that where its going to be going is about 4" higher than the sump(wet/dry).. I should be able to figure it out... I will find a small pump to pump water into the fuge and the it drain back into the sump.. The plumbing is going to have to go around a corner kindof to get to the sump with it should work.. I was also thinking that I might even get some acrylic sheets and make a refuge that will fit perfectly under my stand.. The area under my stand is roughly about 23" wide 14" high and about 14" deep I know a 10gal should fit there and I am even thinking that maybe a 20gal may fit there as well..

Thanks again,
James

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com