Adding large ammount of LR to young but stable tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I have a 4 week old 37G FOWLR. All water params aare good and it is stocked with 1 Damsel and 1 Dottyback.

I have 25# of LR and was planning on adding another 20-25# in 5# incriments. I was looking at liveaquaria.com and saw a 20# LR package for a pretty good price. Would I completely throw off the balance in my tank if I add 20# all at once? I really do not have a space tank to finish the curing process.

Have any of you ordered from Liveaquaria?

Thanks

John

It's not a great idea to add that much LR if you're not positive that it is cured. If you do want to add more LR, my suggestion would be to take your fish back to the LFS, then add the LR and monitor for any ammonia spikes. After the parameters are stable, you could add fish again.

Also, if you have a small QT, you could more your 2 fish to that and add all the LR to the main tank, then move them back after the parameters stabilize. It sounds like you can't set up a QT though.

HTH

tripper

You can cure in a rubbermaid tub too. I would be concerned about any die off from 25 lbs shipped for a 37g tank. Haven't heard in a while, but try liverocks.com. I hear they have little to no die-off and comne loaded with life.

I would do like AD says and cure in a tub, power head, heater(optional) and your good to go. If you dont have an extra skimmer you will need to do a few water changes during the curing process. Using a RM tub allows you to keep tour fish...

I agree. I've gotten rock from liveaquaria and while it's decent rock, it really needs cured. It took weeks for mine to finish curing. I used a rubbermaid tub and two powerheads.

Thanks all,

You all convinced me. I am going to add it slowly, about 5# a week from mt LFS. Thats what my soon to be wife told me to do. She said that I would enjoy the slow process and "sclupting: more anyways. I guess thats why I am marrying her....... :D

Thanks again.

This is the greatest hobby ever...and I should know...I'm into everything...

Thanks

john

I just got a decent deal on "cured" live rock from Ebay. I wasnt going to take any chances. I am "re-curing" it, for lack of a better term in a spare tank with a skimmer. I have done the rubbermaid method, and it also worked very well. If you find a good deal on LR, you can always do this and keep your tank going as everyone else mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom