Adding live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainHigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Double checking its about 1.5 - 2.0 lbs of live rock to the gallon right? I know getting the live rock is really an expensive part of it all, is it ok to add more live rock after you already have added some, or should it all be added at once, currently i don't think i could be able to buy the whole 100lbs of live rock for my 55gal fish tank all at once.

Also, would there be any problems to using less then recommended amount of live rock in the fish tank, or would that just make it look really bare ?

I live in canada i know buying the live rock over the internet would be cheaper then my LFS, but i have not been able to find any places that ship to canada, if anyone knows of a site please let me know.

100lbs is plenty for a 55g tank. You can start with one box and add more later. You'll need to cure the second batch of rock before you add it though or your tank may cycle again due to the die off on the rock. You can use the first batch of rock to cycle the tank. You can use less LR depending on the bioload of the tank and the porosity of the rock. The more porous the rock, the better biofilter it makes.

i was wondering is it ok if i put fully cured LR in the newly set up tank? how should i start cycle the new tank?

If no die off from LR you can use the cocktail shrimp method. You may need more than 1 shrimp to cycle a 55gal though.

the rock that i just bought is from LFS. they say no die off... so.... do i still need shrimp?

If the LR was cured at the LFS and you took it home from there and into the tank you should not have any die off. You can use the shrimp or any source of ammonia. To start the nitrogen cycle you need to have the ammonia to establish the proper bacteria. You can use the shrimp or add a pinch of food or even use pure ammonia.

Of course if this rock is being added to an established tank you dont need to worry about cycling again.

can i use raw frozen shrimp?
so.. in this way, i don't need to use any live fish like damsel to cycle my tank, right?

That shrimp will be fine. The shrimp or other source of ammonia will take the place of the live fish. That means no suffering for them and no hassle for you (trying to remove damsels after the cycle).

i don understand, if using s shrimp can start the nitrogen cycle then why do we need LR? what is the purpose of LR?

lr will be the surface on which the nitrifying bacteria will grow. The LR purpose is not the cycling ability but the filtering ability after the cycle has ended. If you use 1.5 to 2 lbs of LR per gal you can get away with no mechanical filtration as the LR will have the biological filtration needed for the tank. Plus it looks great and brings lots of life to the tank with its biodiversity.

You can have a tank with no LR and be successful. The bacteria would need another place to colonize. This would be the filter floss or bio balls. The problem is you must be careful with these two ways as they may lead to high nitrates. The detritus will buildup and lead to these problems

now i understand. because i was keep thinking the LR has only cycling abilty. THANKS!! :)

one more question, in the future i want to get some reef so is that going affect the LR filtering abilty? as i know reef stay on the rick, right?

With the surface area of porous rock you wont lessen its filtering capabilities by placing corals on them. Many of the biological filtration will occur deep within the rocks pores.

Back
Top Bottom