Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding Live Rock

I have had a 29 gal sw tank for 2 years and am wanting to add some LR. I currently have four fish: 3 perc clowns and a yellow tang. What would be the best way to add LR to this acquarium? I enentually want to add a corral beauty to the tank. Does anyone think that adding anouther fish would be excessive?

I also seem to be having an algae problem. I have read several articles and posts on this site and have concluded that I have Cyanobacteria (grean sheet like formations) on glass, rocks, and floor of tank. My plan of attack includes keeping the light off for about a week, and feeding only several times a week as opposed to every day. I also plan to keep up on water changes and to perform them more freequently. When I introduce the life rock however, I will need to supply adequet light, correct? Who is to say that this algae problem will not return? Will the live rock help in controlling the excess nutrients causing the algae problem?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this article on LR

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...aq=2&fldAuto=6

I almost think that your tank is overstocked already. This is the reason for the algea problem. If you go to your LFS and get LR that is already cured then you can add to your tank now and it will start your biological filtration now. If it comes to you packed then you`ll need to cure it your self. Please read the article for that info. Your plan of attack sounds good and you will be OK for your LR as it will be OK without the light for that period of time and longer. I wish you the best and Welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #3

the algea doesnt feed off of light so cutting down on your light will not affect it i would try a phosphate sponge or something to take the nutrients it is feeding on out of you tank
Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have to disagree, one of the fuel factors for algea is lighting. That`s the purpose for the black out for nuisance algea. I do agree that nutrients play a big part but so does lighting. Esp old bulbs where the spectrum has shifted. I have always suggested a black out for tanks that are over run with algea. By the time the lights are turned back on then the algea is gone or loose enough to siphon out.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #5

it is just that the best way that i have figured out how to get rid of algea is to take away its main food source so that it dies off naturally i got rid of hair algea with weekly water changes of ro it went away in a month and i didnt change my lighting schedule at all
Old 01-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s possible. But the perfect senario would be to get rid of as many factors as possible

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #7

that is true but you dont know what that will do to the rest of the life in the tank when you mess with the light schedule as well as the water changes and filtration
Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just know it will work. I have seen it work in others tanks and others also suggest the same thing. I`ve even seen reef tanks do it with real success. I`ve made my suggestion and I know it will work IMO and IME.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #9

the same with my i am just a more natural way of approaching things was just trying to understand your point of view
Old 01-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: Adding Live Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jobber
My plan of attack includes keeping the light off for about a week, and feeding only several times a week as opposed to every day. I also plan to keep up on water changes and to perform them more freequently.
Excellent plan.
You've pretty much covered all the bases there.
Barring the addition of a refugium, you could add some macro algae directly to the tank which should help export excess nutrients as well.
I keep at least a ball of cheato (brillo) macro in each of my tanks, and it really helps.

Quote:
When I introduce the life rock however, I will need to supply adequet light, correct? Who is to say that this algae problem will not return? Will the live rock help in controlling the excess nutrients causing the algae problem?
No to the first question.
Nitrifying bacteria doesn't need light to grow, or do it's job.

There's no guarantees that the algae won't return.
As a matter of fact, it will almost certainly return if your tank conditions become ripe for it thru neglect.

While adding more filtration via LR alone will help take care of some pollution, it really works best in combination with a good sandbed, a protein skimmer, and some form of macro algae.

BTW, how many lbs. of LR (and LS) do you have in the tank already?
A good rule of thumb is 1.5-2lbs. of LR per gallon to effectively handle a normal bioload.

On a side note, what kind of cleanup crew do you have?

Quote:
I currently have four fish: 3 perc clowns and a yellow tang...
...I enentually want to add a corral beauty to the tank. Does anyone think that adding anouther fish would be excessive?
Your clowns will grow to about 3", and one by itself needs a minimum of a 20gal tank.
A Coral Beauty will grow to about 4", and one by itself needs a minimum of a 30gal tank.
Your Yellow Tang will grow to about 8", and one by itself needs a minimum of a 50gal tank.

Even using the oldschool rule of 2-3" of fish per 10 gallons for saltwater, your tank should only support between 6-9" of fish total.
That means your tank was "full" with just the 3 clowns.

Overstocking means more fish waste, and also can have a serious impact on the health of your fish.
While it's possible to successfully run a slightly overstocked tank, it would require much better than normal water quality, and extra attention to avoid problems.

And last but not least, Welcome to AA!!!

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com