Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Adding Live Rock

I just ordered 45 lbs of uncured fiji live rock for drsfosterandsmith and was wondering do I put it directly in my new tank or does it need to be rinsed off. And if so rinse off in salt or freshwater? And if anybody has any more tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could rinse it off in some saltwater just to get some of the dead stuff off, but you dont have to because your tank is going to cycle while the rock cures anyway.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rinsing it in some SW may decrease the amount of ammonia produced, and make cycling a little easier. Something else to keep in mind while your cycling w/ LR is PWC's. If ammonia levels get too high, it will not only prolong the cycle time, but also kill off more life on the LR. Monitor the ammonia and do a PWC if levels get too high.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let say i collected my own live rock. Could i put it directly into my aqaurium without curing. This rock will be out of water for a few minutes only.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you probably could w/ minimum, to no die off. Do you plan on collecting your own LR? How/where?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: Adding Live Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoycrow
I just ordered 45 lbs of uncured fiji live rock for drsfosterandsmith and was wondering do I put it directly in my new tank or does it need to be rinsed off. And if so rinse off in salt or freshwater? And if anybody has any more tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
To answer your question about the LR from the good doctors you will need to wash that off in a bucket of SW. I usually scrub mine off real good to minimize die off that MT was talking about.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com