adding live rock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50gal tank with a 20gal refugium/sump with MINIMAL live rock. I have an orange spotted goby, fire fish, small tomato clown, and 2 scooter blennies (dragnets).

My question is: I would like to add about 60 lbs of live rock to the tank all at once. It would be Fiji rock that I buy from Ebay. The ONLY reason that I am going this route is that I am VERY limited as to how much I can spend, and this is the cheapest way to do it.

My tank has been up for about 5 months now with me constantly making changes to it. I just want to finally get it right so I can enjoy it, instead of it being a hassel.

Would I be able to add 60 lbs at once? Recommended to do this?

After I did this I would let it sit for atleast another month before I did any thing else to it.

Would my fish be alright? should I put some rock in the sump too?

Should I take out the rest of my bioballs after awhile too? I have heard this is the way to go, but I have read about 500 gallon reefs that use them?????

Any other suggestions or recomendations would be greatly apprecited.

Thank you

I would nto add that much rock at once unless you had the ability to quarinteen it once it arrives at your house to confirm that its not giving off ammonia or nitite due to dieoff during shipping. Adding alot of live rock that has die off can cause your ammonia levels to spike in an established tank. You can use something as simple as a rubbermaid trashcan with saltwater, powerhead and heater to QT your rock. Check the rock 24 hours after getting it to see if its releasing any ammonia. If it is then you can deal with the ammonia in the QT tub vs having to deal with it in your live tank.

How would I go about doing that? Putting the rock into a seperate container I mean. If there is ammonia present do I just let it sit, or do water changes?

Back
Top Bottom