adding live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
being very new to this, i've decided that i need more live sand after my tank is up and running. it was an established tank when i bought it and all i did was move it. i left all the existing filter media so it would cycle better. it no longer has any ammonia or nitrite. the problem is that i have 4 chromis damsels and i'm afraid i might hurt them by adding the sand now. any suggestions?

Umm, I too am fairly new to this, but I don't think you would hurt them by adding the sand... I think they are pretty hardy fish .But don't take my word for it!!! Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will tell me if im right or wrong! :lol:

Adding more LS would be fine but do not put it in all at once. You would do better to add only ½" or so at a day to allow the "critters" in the sandbed to migrate to the surface.

I find using a small plastic cup best. Allow it to sit just a hair below the surface of the water in the tank until it fills slowly with water. The gentley ease it down to the bottom and ease it out. Don't dump, just let it slide out easy. It would be a good idea to turn off the powerheads in the area you work on. The few minutes it will take won't do any harm but will lessen the murkiness.

No need to worry about the fish. I swapped out my CC for sand with a "full" tank (rock, corals and fish) and did not move a thing (or lose any either :wink:)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom